Well, this should be fun

Tim Bromund

This crumbling pile of rotten wood pulp used to be the interior of my boat cabin.

Ahhh, the joys of owning a 26 year old boat.

P1020381.jpg

P1020382.jpg

P1020383.jpg

P1020386.jpg

P1020390.jpg

P1020395.jpg

P1020396.jpg

First I've gotta take off the rub rail and reseal the leaking hull to deck joint that was the cause of this mess.

P1020397.jpg

:o:o:o

Tim

Hello Tim.You're not alone in your troubles.

Just today I took the rotten transom out of my Islander and continued with removing the flotation foam.One side is done so far. The foam only weighed about 300 pounds!! Tomorrow the other side is going to get get ripped out. All of this after having changed the rings and gasket on the engine.

The truth is that I enjoy this putzing around just as much as being on the water.

Gee Tim........seems to me you might be awhile and your slip is empty. Leave the key to the dock lock under my door mat eh buddy? :lol: I feel your pain. When you were catching all those Kings in July last year, I was rebuilding my hardtop. Man there was a lot of wood rot. You really should have taken my suggestion to either get a port-a-potty or at least a piss can to prevent that from happening again :o:*

PS I will stop posting pictures of fish I catch until you finish.........naw

Now is the time to build in extra storage and things that you wished you had before. Check where the upper windows go in, thats where my thompson leaked. Have fun with it and make it a custom cabin.

It's actually been going on for a couple years now.... The cabin has been getting wet for a while and I've been ignoring it since it it only used for tackle storage, then the wood started crumbling last season.

The way the fishing has been so far this year, I may have to leave it for now, though I probably should at least reseal the hull/deck seam/joint before it goes in the water for the season.

Then, I can take my time and figure out exactly what I want to do in there, get all of the new wood sections cut, epoxied/sealed over the summer and ready to go in when I pull the boat in the fall.

This is all that's left of the old Thompson cheesy interior construction. The floor, stringers motor bunks and transom were replaced in 2003, so everything from the cabin bulkhead back was already done.

Dave, I checked the porthole windows and they are not leaking as far as I can see.

Tim

Take care of your boat and it'll take care of you. I like to see owners taking pride in a boat that just needs some TLC. You see so many times owners neglecting their boats and it drives me crazy. Your boat is an investment and can last for generations if properly cared for. And there's that feeling of accomplishment when you know you've made something better than it was originally. Good job and have fun with it.

Did some investigating the other day. I took the trim piece off and pulled the "so distinctively 80s fuzzy hull covering! :)" away and it turns out that the hull to deck joint is easily accessible from the interior. In fact, the caulk joint is clearly visible, including the gaps in the caulk where the leaks are located.

Right now, it looks like I will be able to rake out the old caulk with a hook knife (thinking of using a 5 in scraper) and recaulk/seal the joint with 5200 from the inside without having to remove the rub rail from the outside at all (yippee).

Thanks to a guy on another boating forum I frequest for the great idea to check the inside first, I was ready to wrestle the rub rail off and tackle it from the outside before doing any interior work. Just made my life a whole lot easier. I should have that entire joint in the cabin raked out and resealed in a day.

I was going to tackle it today, so of course after beautiful weather all week, it is pouring rain

Tim