jiggin lakers

it looks like your tied to the wrong spot...that might be the problem....tie off on the opposite side as the hooks

My concerns were that hooks would get hung up on main line on the drop (the jigs are tail weighted) and the action may be affected on the retrieve. I'll give it a shot though and see how it works.

I've used this same set up a bunch in West coast salt water and never had such a big problem losing fish.

gonefishin - I bet you do get a lot of fish w/o the ff using that method. Guess the only 2 things the ff would do is: 1- it is a blast to watch the trout attack the lure and 2- I get a lot of trout by starting to reel in just before the trout gets to the jig.

m.o.b. - I generally don't have a problem with the treble hooking the line if I just drop it off the side of the boat. However it can be more of a problem if casting downwind (which I do most of the time) as the boat is drifting. I have pretty much eliminated that by slowing down the jig with my fingers on the line just before the jig hits the water. This turns the jig so it is pointing back towards the boat and pretty much solves the problem.

hermit-Yes, I rig up 2 or 3 of the treble hook /jig rigs before hand. I went to using a split ring between the treble hook and the bent jig hook to make changing tube body easier. Surprisingly the tube body will last quite some time, at least on Keuka trout. Maybe not so long on those Cayuga monsters :) .

ManOverboard, well 1/0 sounds big enough, I think the ones I tried had relatively small hooks and that was a concern of mine, scratch that idea then.

Guff, missed the part where you said you use them on the Keuka fish, have you tried this rig on the Seneca beasts? You're right that tubes can last a good while, the flukes and paddletails often come back missing a tail and it can get expensive quick, a few short strikes in a row and there go a couple bucks. I was hoping you guys had some good way of getting around that problem. I guess the bait needle is it! I am faster at tying knots than I used to be so gonefishing71's method would work better than it used to as well. Maybe I'll play with some ideas again, thanks.

I have found trebles tear too many lakers up.. Too many get all 3 hooks, and start bleeding badly.. A good compromise is cutting one of the 3 points off on the treble.. You will have a much increased hook up rate over a single hook, and the release is almost as easy as a single.. I too lose a lot of lakers on tubes with a single hook, but it doesn't bother me as i don't need to take home maybe 1 laker anyway, as I am the only one that eats them...Some days I find jigging spoons work as well as plastics and I prefer them.. Other days the plastics are way better... Typically, if I am getting hits, chases, swing and a miss, I go to a double hook jigging spoon.. I prefer them these days, as i just seem to have a better hook up ratio with them... Past few years the Shorty Hopkins has gotten me a lot of lakers...bob

Hi guys. Hot off the press. John Gaulke just texted me that this am there is a hot bite going on on north end of Seneca across from Belhurst Castle. :o I launch at Chamber of Commerce in Geneva. If you want monster LT (28- 34") on jigs that is the place to go when they are hitting. For whatever reason the hot bite is about 3 weeks late compared to my experience over the last 3 years. Do not need treble hook/tube/bent hook jig for those big boys when they are cooperating. They will gooble the whole jig. Would start with chartreuse fluke. They love them. Also paddle tails and tubes work. Would motor to 120 fow water then drift back to 45 fow if wind out of south. (opposite if from north) Check ff to see at what depth most LT blips show up and concentrate on that depth. Of course my wife and I have an out of town trip planned until early next week. ;( But it is to see my son so it is good. ;(

Out of the north end of Seneca is where we usually go, and the fishing for lakers seems always good, and not always the "hole" (actually more of a box canyon). Have brought up some beautiful BIG lakers there jigging. I'm hoping for a 20lber there still fishing :yes: !!

Hi guys. Hot off the press. John Gaulke just texted me that this am there is a hot bite going on on north end of Seneca across from Belhurst Castle. :o I launch at Chamber of Commerce in Geneva. If you want monster LT (28- 34") on jigs that is the place to go when they are hitting. For whatever reason the hot bite is about 3 weeks late compared to my experience over the last 3 years. Do not need treble hook/tube/bent hook jig for those big boys when they are cooperating. They will gooble the whole jig. Would start with chartreuse fluke. They love them. Also paddle tails and tubes work. Would motor to 120 fow water then drift back to 45 fow if wind out of south. (opposite if from north) Check ff to see at what depth most LT blips show up and concentrate on that depth. Of course my wife and I have an out of town trip planned until early next week. ;( But it is to see my son so it is good. ;(

Is this spot accessible from the north launch by the hotels in geneva? Thinkin about making the trip but am only equiped with a 9.9 horse on a 16'er

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hit Keuka from 6:30 to 8:30 Sat AM and tried the setup mentioned earlier by guff and gonefishing71. 1oz trolling sinker with a treble on one end (via split ring). Slide sinker into soft plastic tube bait and tie to main line. Ended up going 6 for 6 with the biggest being about 22". Fished over 120 FOW - fish were suspended in about 80 FOW with a few coming up off the bottom. I think I will stick to this new tube setup vs. the metal speed jigs I had been using. Definitely less lost fish. So far the treble hasn't presented a problem with tearing the fish up - 5 of the 6 were released and were in fine condition.

Thanks again for the tips!

Good job MOb! 6 trout in 2 hours ain't too shabby. Off subject some but where did you launch? Previous posts have mentioned private ramps on west side of Keuka. Never used any of them. Would be nice to be closer to end of bluff than the state park. Also off subject but if anyone ever gets a chance would recommend a trip to Acadia National Park on the Maine coast line. Spent 2 days (too short) there this weekend and it is beautiful. Rugged, rocky shoreline and 1500 foot Cadillac mountain where you can see forever.

Off subject some but where did you launch?

My family has a cottage on the East side about 3 miles up from Hammondsport so that is my launch. Lately my trips have been N from there up to Gold Seal area and on up to the Bluff. There is also one small no-name point close to the cottage that seems to hold fish more often than not. The old timers would tell you there is an underwater spring that empties into the lake there but who knows for sure.

Earlier in the year I had decent luck from 2 mile point on the W side on down to Hammonsport but the fish seem to have vacated that area now - at least in my experience.

Thanks again!