jiggin lakers

Got a new graph and got her dialed in, Went after some lakers today and was very pleased with the performance of my hbird 597ci hd.

the approach

1z5546v.jpg

swing and a miss

315babr.jpg

got em

15nkbk9.jpg

at the boat

20zu460.jpg

there were a couple hungry ones in this group

2mmu2vs.jpg

released and headed right back to the bottom

cnupk.jpg

....any detail how you set her up I have a 798 HD SI combo , hermit is going to help me out jigging when we can get togather again and it would help if I had my unit set up JUST for jigging as it's set for trolling now !!!

Thanks

Ed

....any detail how you set her up I have a 798 HD SI combo , hermit is going to help me out jigging when we can get togather again and it would help if I had my unit set up JUST for jigging as it's set for trolling now !!!

Thanks

Ed

For jigging its 83khz, scroll speed 8, sensitivity 17, bottom setting is structure id, rts window medium or wide

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Got it thanks !!! :yes:

Just a heads up for you about your Hbird go on line and regester it , then check for up-dates for your unit , all free no cost !!!

Just follow the directions on the FAQ page for the download and updating your unit !!!

Got the same unit, love it. every day I have to do different settings because Seneca changes so much.

I can't seem to catch anything but sawbellies when jigging. help, i will buy the beer!!

Best to go when it's calm...makes it a lot easier. Drop jigs to the bottom where U see marks and work them up, down and up from the bottom. That is the easiest way. When they R hitting (guess that IS the trick), it can be as easy as catching sunnies at the dock...Any more is just a fine tuning and tweaking of that process. Of course suitable equipment is required, particularly line type (a no-stretch product is best). Others can offer more tips and tactics, but this basic approach has worked fairly well...Remember it is deep water fishing and some of the lakers can easily surpass 10lbs. Brings laker fishing to whole new heights of appreciation with their fight....(much more fun that trolling them up)! :nod:

Best to go when it's calm...makes it a lot easier. Drop jigs to the bottom where U see marks and work them up, down and up from the bottom. That is the easiest way. When they R hitting (guess that IS the trick), it can be as easy as catching sunnies at the dock...Any more is just a fine tuning and tweaking of that process. Of course suitable equipment is required, particularly line type (a no-stretch product is best). Others can offer more tips and tactics, but this basic approach has worked fairly well...Remember it is deep water fishing and some of the lakers can easily surpass 10lbs. Brings laker fishing to whole new heights of appreciation with their fight....(much more fun that trolling them up)! :nod:

5 or 10lb powerpro braid, and a 10lb seaguar floro leader on a medium action bass baitcaster is a blast.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

i would like to learn to jig for lakers on keuka but not sure what size or weight of jigs i should use any info would be great. want to try something new now that i have them figured out trolling need a change of pace

thanks ahead of time

I've used bucktails with grub bodies added, jigheads with swimbait bodies, tube bodies, various combos of these.....Even some wacky concoction of jig with spoon and spinner topped off with pork rind (fly strip)! Just get whatever down there. 1/2 to 1oz in weight to get it down to the depths (75 to 150 ft or more down). Some days the same jigging lure I was using to get beautiful smallmouths in 5 to 15 fow caught me jack perch in 40 fow and lakers in 100+ fow. This happened in Seneca, but I see no reason it could not happen in any of the fingers that had cold and warmwater species. Pike, too! And like zackblain said, some no stretch stuff works real good at feeling the pickups in deep water. If it is dead, mirror out there (not too often for that), even a regular stretchy mono can work, though, if U R not equipped with floro or braid. I would use a leader of some kind though. Get it down there and work the marks. Sonar does really help....

Got 14 LT on Keuka yesterday. In Keuka (smaller trout) I found I was losing way too many LT using a normal jig. Now I make up my own. Using a bait needle, I run a 1 ounce trolling sinker up inside a 3.5" white (with silver speckles) tube. Keuka LT really like white tubes. At the back end I add a size 2 super sharp red treble hook using a split ring. Has cut my lost trout numbers by at least 50%. I get 90% of my LT on the retrieve. Yesterday before 10:00 the trout 50 -75 feet down (near KLSP boat launch) over deep water were especially cooperative. Lots of LT at tip of bluff also.

One problem I have seen is that the aforementioned jig set up sometimes does not show up on my ff as well as a regular jig. I believe it is because the soft plastic body does not reflect the sonar beam as well as a solid jig head. To solve that problem I have made up an alternative rig. I take a 1 oz. bullet Kalin jig (from Cabela's), bend the hook around, insert it into the tube, then add the treble with split ring. I like the Kalin jigs because they have big barbs that hold the tube better. My son keeps telling me I should patent this.

Gonefishin - Yes, one of the reasons I love the jigging method is because it has to be one of the cheapest ways to fish the Finger Lakes. Just curious, is there a reason you do not use your ff to follow the jig/trout? It is a definite blast.

We mostly fish from 4 or 5 till dark...my wife will not get up early

at night the boat traffic is so bad you can't stay on fish... I spend more time looking for drunks than the F/F :@

mostly I run through an area mark fish and then drift back over them....i also can cover more ground by casting a 100" or so and free spooling to bottom...then I jig my way back to the boat....when I get to the boat I give it 3 or 4 good bounces and reel it in

it's working pretty good....

guff & gonefishing71,

I jig Keuka quite a bit also. Generally I'm using speed type jigs with assist hooks by Shimano and a few other makers in the 1-2 oz range. They sure do get down quick which is nice when there is a drift. That being said, I do seem to lose quite a few fish so I'm interested in giving your tube set ups with treble hooks a try. My question is do you have any issues with the treble getting tangled in the line on the drop?

Thank you for the info.

Are you guys rigging a bunch of those up ahead of time?

I'm curious because I've tried those rigs before and after the tube gets shredded it's a pain to put a new one on. I had the same problem with running a hook behind the jig whether it's a tube or not. Best solution I came up with was having pre-rigged stingers using braid with a loop so I'd just do a loop connection around the hook/swivel/etc. Not too hard to take off and put back on but still awkward (the braid is easier than mono I felt). That's why I generally fish spoons on Keuka, don't do it often enough to make up new lures but the spoons work fine, maybe the plastics are better though- they are on Cayuga. Also never tried using a bait needle I'm sure that helps a lot. Maybe I'm just lazy. :D

ManOverboard, interesting, where are the fish usually hooked?

I've tried a few of those styles but not a whole lot but generally find short-shanked hooks like that work better than longer shanks like jigs as there is less leverage. Maybe the assist hooks are a little small and the fish are barely getting hooked and are ripping loose versus popping off.

The fish I end up boating seem to be hooked darn near everywhere - no real pattern to it. I think the way these jigs are worked (fast and erratic) plus the fact that the assist hook dances all over the place makes for random hooksets.

Hard to say if they are ripping out vs. just popping off. Maybe I'm just hossing on them too much. Seems like the one's I loose stay on for a good bit before they liberate themselves.

The hooks are short shank 1/0. Hook is looped directly around a solid ring that the main line is then tied to. Jig just "hangs" from the same solid ring via it's own split ring. Shouldn't be much leverage against the jig that way.

Not my pic or jigs but same idea:

image.jpg

hermit

i just cut the hook off and put a new tube on then tie the hook back on....kinda a pain...but that mean your catching allot :D

man overboard

it looks like your tied to the wrong spot...that might be the problem....tie off on the opposite side as the hooks

the top jig in your picture is dynamite :yes::yes:

usually 1 hook in bottom jaw and the other hook usually floats around and gets them somewhere and they don't usually get off

when useing plastic swimbait jigs and they are short strikeing i switch to these