replacing wire line

Funny this topic comes up now. I have five year old Mason 7 strand on my diver rods. Always wondered what the life expectancy was for it. Never had any problems with it, no frays or break offs in 5 years, I always check terminations and look for frays every time I deploy them. Last weekend I broke off a diver and flasher fly rig off of each of my rods and found another fray on one. Pretty good wake up call for me. 2 new spools of wire on order right now. Good Luck.

a dipsy and flasher fly set up lost is about same as new roll wire....respool each season.....any local tackle shop carries it

Really? I've never heard that - you respool you wire dipsies every season?

I get between 300 - 400 trips out of my wire, I does not go bad from non use, it does stretch and it will pigtail on you. Most of the time the pigtail is from you/me pulling down ward on the line while setting. Much like a pair of scissors on a ribbon, when you pull a little line out aginst your tip, like you may do when setting up the rod with a dipsy after taking it out of the rack you end up with a curl. We used to splice in a 20' length of 50# mono between the end of the wire and the dipsy and we would almost never get the pigtails.

My wire gets replaced when I have trimmed it so many times that it is too short, from either pigtailing or professional crossovers.

As long as you have at least 600' of wire on your reel you should be fine.

The wire is stainless steel -

The wire will kink and cut before it weakens from chemical degradation.

I use mine for at least 2 years.

Between tangles and cuts to free up lines - when it comes down to around the 600 ft mark, it should be respooled

with 1000 ft.

With a 1000 ft wire is backing necessary? Ive read it is and isnt. I was given my dipsy rod setup but not sure if theres backing or not. Any ways im upgrading to Okuma Convector 30's and was wonderig if i needed it.

I put 2 winds of 30# big game in bright green so if I see it coming I know to turn something!!! It also helps to cushion the spool, and I like how the wire sits on a cushioned spool better then the hard spool.