Running copper

This is my first season running 300' of copper line.

Question...how do most guys run these?? off the boards , down the chute , off a high mounted rocket launcher holder?

I am spending more time un tangling the copper from my 3-1/2 setting dipseys that are out 250 - 280 ft. I'm sure the copper is rinking and sweeping to the side and making contact with my dipsey and end up with a disaster to a point I have to bring the rod in and deal with it on shore.

What am I doing wrong?

Should I be moving my rod around based on the turns or current?

Also, does the copper line raise when running a spin doctor from it?

Thank you in advance guys

what he said. Also, if you want to run your coppers with that 3.5 setting, try speeding up a bit to keep that copper high and send it out on a inline or large board. I use inline boards made by church tackle. I run three on each side of my boat. Lead cores and coppers. stack them so your shortest copper or core is the furthest out. If you want more info on all of this let me know, I will explain it in detail. Down the chute with a 300 copper shouldn't give you any troubles. If you run your dipsys on a 1.5-2.5 it will take less line to get your desired depth , and less of a chance of tanlging, especially in a turn. Copper sinks pretty slow...

Any more questions ask away...

Unless your fishing 2 divers per side there is no need to run divers on a 3 1/2 but if you prefer it then run your copper down the chute. I would suggest putting your copper on a board and fishing your divers on a 2 setting though.

Mag dipsys have a steeper dive curve and stay down out of way. As others have said keep you diver on a 1 setting. After deploying your copper, let it ride awhile before sending it out on a board.

I found you will not tangle coppers with your divers if you let them out and then let them settle before sending them out to the board. I have been running copper for years and have had 2 tangles with divers and it was when I first started running it. NO problems running divers on a 3 or 3.5 if you let the copper settle before running it over top of the wires.

If you run copper down the shoot and divers higher # than 2 AND TURN TOO SHARPLY for more than 15 seconds you run a high risk of tangle. I'll explain, the wide high diver needs good speed kept steady on it. Water pressure against it keeps it in plane. when you turn your insides float down due to speed reduction. 2 things worked against you , less water pressure and the weight being dialed heavily to the gravity side causing it to slip out of plane,and drop into your wake zone. the copper then moves to the inside of your turn. the 2 will cross, and when you straighten, the diver will climb in the water column, and catch the slow reacting copper line. Snafu!

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

All comments are understood and makes all the sense

I will print this thread out and try a few things.

If anything...it raises a good point of why I am running my dipsies at 3-1/2 when I really don't have to. I will start running mine at 2 and that way I don't have to let as much line out and I can get deeper if needed.

Thanx again

Ok since were on the subject.......from what i read up above its better to send out the copper first then the dipsies?? I have always put my dipsies out first, then sent the copper down the shoot, then put it on the planer line and sent it to the board. Is this a good way to put out the copper??? Now i'm not sure if I have been doing it right??? :o

i like to put out my long lines first get them on boards far away from the boat. this is a slower setup, I know a lot of people like to put dipseys out first on a slow click and then they can put out additional rods while the dipseys go down. but I hate tangles so I will continue to do long lines first.