Sonar / GPS ?

Bought a Lowrance Elite 5 this year and passed up on the HDS !!! Thought I might be disappointed but after the easy install and then getting to see its performance and unbelievable graphics and the gold package comes with the Navionics card which just spiced the package up more !! Most user friendly unit I have ever used !! Am more than happy with this unit and would recommend it to anyone fishing the fingers or lake Ontario !! Heres a link to it http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/detail ... 44001.html

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the elite 5 because I fished a buddy of mine's boat and loved his fishfinder. I called to ask him what model it was and he said "elite 5". So, I bought an Elite 5. Well, after installing it I was somewhat disappointed. I checked his boat and his was an HDS 5. I was less than happy.

The Elite 5 is fine but the HDS 5 picks up fish laying right on the bottom and is better in my opinion.

Bought a Lowrance Elite 5 this year and passed up on the HDS !!! Thought I might be disappointed but after the easy install and then getting to see its performance and unbelievable graphics and the gold package comes with the Navionics card which just spiced the package up more !! Most user friendly unit I have ever used !! Am more than happy with this unit and would recommend it to anyone fishing the fingers or lake Ontario !! Heres a link to it http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/detail ... 44001.html

Mike

:yes: <-----what he said

Do a search, I think the open forum of the gear form had a discussion on this topic/ price range. I made a post on there about a deal that I got on a 788 Hummingbird. My research lead me to this unit and I do the same fishing as you. I have not put it on the boat yet, don't know how much better it is than my Lowrance..........

I have no experience with the higher range Lowrance but definitely stay away from the lower end. I got a 5X-Pro and really don't like it. Feel like over the course of two months it lost 30% of it's fishfinding capabilities and it's nearly useless over 90 feet.

Lavarock bet you'll love that unit. ERabbit has two nice Humminbirds and I got spoiled just on one trip with him! Maybe next year I can upgrage but I know my next FF will not be a Lowrance.

I bought the hbird 597ci hd this year and love it so far. I use if for picking out walleye that are glued to the bottom of honeoye in the summer as well as jigging lakers and trolling for trout as well. I have some pics of me using it for jigging on here and it does an awesome job picking up jigs/fish down 80+feet. You can pick up a navionics chip for 100$ and still be well under budget.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Here is the thread I was refering to.........

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34992&start=15

Hermit- I wish I knew. Between home repairs, coaching sports and the hunting season, I may not get it installed til spring.......... I believe you earned a few fishing chips this derby season that would go along way to one of these units............. Being that boats are a money pit, I put all lucky earnings back into the pit (would not of considered it other wise).

I have no experience with the higher range Lowrance but definitely stay away from the lower end. I got a 5X-Pro and really don't like it. Feel like over the course of two months it lost 30% of it's fishfinding capabilities and it's nearly useless over 90 feet.

Lavarock bet you'll love that unit. ERabbit has two nice Humminbirds and I got spoiled just on one trip with him! Maybe next year I can upgrage but I know my next FF will not be a Lowrance.

I had a lot of problems with my units that most were worked out by the time Alec fished with me.

+ on the HB 798 hd si I have I think the bottom hugging lakes show up way better than on the HB 788CI I have.

- the transducer that came with both units are JUNK......don't put it on if you buy one contact HB and up grade to the QUADBEAM..........but if one of mine go bad again I'm going to put a Amir on it that I hear about on this site.

The GPS system is ???? ( with the Nav. Hot Map p ) off WHY I don't know had so many problems working out the fishfinder that I have NOT address this issue yet.......... If it work great with the zoom in deal ( 10' I think) would be great for jigging and perch fishing......

Do I like these unit......YES .......color is great never had it before and in full sun I can read it from the back of the boat. The C.S> is great...I had 2 788ci sent one back for repair they super glued the broken part back in post here about that, HB C.S. rep PM me and I ended up with a new in the box 798HDSI... when I had problems with reading or setting HB was usless guy on here that have HB units help me out BIG TIME.................