Trailer Tires

Adk1

I have a 221v Starcraft islander with double axle trailer. need some new kicks on it. Would like to make some drives to Lake O from my home area which is about a 3.5 hour drive. Wondering if getting radial tires would be worth investing in or just standard trailer tires?

Whether they are regular or radial is not so important. The important thing is the ply rating. My trailer tires are 8 ply.( I haul an Islander)

The other important thing is a set of good brakes on your trailer. Under NY State law you must have brakes on trailers that are rated over a thousand pounds. It is not usually checked or enforced,but that is until you get into an accident. Besides it really saves you money on your truck brakes.

I had 13" bias tires on my trailer which hauled a 21 ft Striper. I averaged 1 tire failure per 2 trips.(1200 miles). I replaced them with 14" radials and haven't had a failure yet.(4800 miles) I did have to make new fenders to accomodate the bigger tires but it trailers much better.

High Bidder

First let me say I am not a tire guy.

What I was informed when getting tires for my trailer was "long distance trailering = radial, short distance = bias" It has something do do with the heat generated when driving. I travel 300 to 500 miles to get to the lake four times a year. I do not want to jinks myself but I have not had an issue yet. Seven years on the first set and still looked good but changed them anyway. I figured I was due. I also trailer locally, just do not know how many more miles I put on them.

Good luck.