Best fishing line to use - rigger rods; dipsy rods

Assuming you will be fishing Lake O for salmon, 30lb Berkley Big Game and 20lb fluoro leader works great for me for rigger set ups and 1000' of wire - Mason and Malin have been good and this year I'll be trying out the Blood Run wire.

For browns - 20lb Big Game w/ 12lb fluoro leader (on different reel/rod set ups)

However, there are many good line companies that you can't go wrong with: Ande, Gamma, P-line, Maxima,.........pretty much a Ford/Chevy thing.

Shawn

Yep - some will say typical Mercury-E-rude debate, however, I used to use maxima on my 320's for the riggers but found it had too much stetch with the longer rods, so switched to p-Line and haven't had to look back. I'd look at some of the co-poly lines rather than straight mono if I were you.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Assuming you will be fishing Lake O for salmon, 30lb Berkley Big Game and 20lb fluoro leader works great for me for rigger set ups and 1000' of wire - Mason and Malin have been good and this year I'll be trying out the Blood Run wire.

For browns - 20lb Big Game w/ 12lb fluoro leader (on different reel/rod set ups)

However, there are many good line companies that you can't go wrong with: Ande, Gamma, P-line, Maxima,.........pretty much a Ford/Chevy thing.

Shawn

yeah, what he said

• 3 months later...

Shawn

I have been buying rods for DR setups and DD setups. I only plan on making it to lake O once in spring and once in Summer. Having said that, I really dont want to be respooling my reels all the time for one trip. so, is it ok to just run 30LB big game on DR rods and 12lb flouro leader for both seasons? also, does the line color of the Big Game make a difference?

Edited by Adk1

The color shouldn't make a difference (especially when you are using them to fish deep. The 12 lb fluoro is fine for the Finger Lakes before the fleas hit. but for lake O when fishing the Chjinnok waters you may want to go to 17-20 lb. fluoro.  When its flea season - larger diameter of line with a slick surface is wise (no braid or leadcore etc.) is the rule regardless how you do it. When it is flea season your leaders will load up the lighter you go with the leader but the main line diameter is more crucial when you are using leaders shorter than your rod. If you run say an 8ft leader  on a 9 ft. rod you will have somewhat of a clean off problem but at least you will be able to get your main 30 lb line through the eyes and tip to net the fish.

I couldn't agree more with the Big Game and then P-Line (CX I think it is) if you're running fluoro leaders. Even with cost not being an option, I still can't see myself choosing anything else.

I'm just surprised how the lb test seems to creep up every year. I still run 15lb Big Game and think that's what we started with back in '90 when I was a kid and we first hit Ontario. My only exception is running 20lb Flea-Flicker spliced in when needed.

The Big Game is awesome... Never really seems to coil-up or retain any sort of memory, holds up from year to year if I forget to change it, is tough enough to keep a fish on wrapped around a wire dipsey or momentarily against a rigger cable, and is so easy on the wallet compared to other lines.

I've used it for years and years and its forerunner for years before that Berkeley Hombre which was basically a saltwater line. I had (2) 3,000 yard rolls of it and used it forever on my downrigger and toplines. It is one of those things that defies the principle of more expensive = better.

Where does everyone get their spools of Big Game? I have looked at Bretts..seems like a fair price. I have 2 30 class reels for my riggers I want to fill with 30lb..I believe that I can put on about 300 yards each spool..then 8' flouro 18lb leader.

If you rig them with 19 strand torpedo wire you get the bext od all worlds whether you fish deep for fleas or just about any application you will not have a problem. It will cost a little more but you wont have to worry about anything.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Lake Ontario United mobile app