Transducer Interference?

rolmops

I am about to install an Airmar P66 on my stern. My concern is the Fish Hawk  X4 transducer. Do the P66 (50-200 (KHZ) and the fish hawk transducer (70KHZ) when placed very close (6 inches apart) interfere with each other ?

Or are the frequencies so different that there is no interference?

Thanks for your answers.

Edited by rolmops

I have not used the P66 but I can tell you when i have used other transducers that close to the x-4 it has led to trouble for me. You need to get them further apart. I am just not sure how far. I moved mine to opposite sides of the boat but I am hearing people say14". No experience yet at that distance.

Preceeding posts appear to indicate that the problem is likely not caused by close placement of ducers. Some have interference while others don't. Frequencies don't appear to be it. Maybe the problem has something to do with angles of the transducers.  Or by some other combination of equipment on the boat. Sounds like a real delemma that you should post about if the actual cause can be determined.

You can expect "cross-talk" when operating 2+ transducers on an identical frequency. This "cross-talk" is created by the intersection of sonar waves (cone angle when referring to high speed transdcuers) as they intersect one another somewhere below the boat. Most users who require multiple transducers of the same frequency will simply turn one off. The only way to determine an outcome with 2 transducers of the same frequency is to:  #1 - completely wire your electronics and install the transducer you know you will use and #2 - wire your 2nd set of electronics and while both units are on, drop the transducer over the transom, or, better yet, temporarily secure the 2nd transducer in various proximities to the 1st.

Safe boating....

Captain Chris    

Edited by bosun