Turtles

Not esox related but kinda neat... On june 7th a snapping turtle layed her eggs next to my pool like she does every year. Today they hatched and all went into my pool again. 3 trips to the canal to let them go. 42 so far.post-142867-13786858517845_thumb.jpgpost-142867-13786858698593_thumb.jpgpost-142867-1378685887691_thumb.jpgpost-142867-13786859167307_thumb.jpgi want to get going on happy hour now so i made them their own pool

That is cool!..glad you took the time to give them a home and chance at life. Very nice of you to help the the little snaps!...of course I know you really didn't want to share your cement pond with some of Ellie May's critters! LOL!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

That is awesome.  People do not realize that most turtle nests have a zero percent survival rate so every little bit helps.  In the future please send me a PM if you would like help on the release I will help.  I usually keep them until they reach about 3-4 inches and then release in Mendon ponds park as it is an excellent turtle habitat.

Snapping turtles? I grew up with ponds on our farm and snappers werent given any quarter. Grandpa had ducks and we hunted turtles all summer. Neighbor ate em...tho prob not all of em. Growing up you couldnt leave a stringer of fish long at night or turtles would wipe you out. Fished for em too with cut bait. Times change tho....

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app