Woodville 11/17

Tg8

Got on the water at about 10:30. Started at the west side drop off. Finder didn't mark the usual numbers, had one hit in about an hour. The wind kicked up and we headed over to the east side for some relief. Stumbled into some rocks at about 105. And found half a doz lakers, on shadilicious soft plastics. Went over the spot a few times before we started to drift further north with the wind. I pulled out my diamond jig, and bam right on the bottom, a 6-8lb burbot. Crazy looking fish. Then we pulled up a 7-8lb laker. My buddy a legit bass pro made a big difference today suggesting moving and targeting some points. He had the rod with a stinger I put on it with 5" shadilicious, he caught a bunch more than I did. I am going with the excuse running the trolling motor kept a few off my tally. On the way back to the launch he pulled an almost 4-5 lb and broke off another. Spectacular day. I will be moving a bit more than I usually do on canandaigua after I found it to find us all our fish today.

Nice going. and good report....we were thinking perch yesterday for today but the weather had other ideas :)  How does the water level look at the Woodville launch? Yesterday it was very low at the north end launch ramp. One of the guys I spoke with at the launch ramp bottomed out his skeg while I was helping him launching on the "handicapped" ramp. The other docks are pulled out on shore now. The channel was only a couple feet deep and the lake was crystal clear so it looked like inches :lol:  Looks as though they have pulled the lake level down quite a bit.

Edited by Sk8man

They will go shallow during the spawn, but here in NY they are typically deep water fish.. They spawn in  shallow ice water in mid winter... they like it VERY cold... Colder than almost any freshwater fish.. They are closely related to  salt water Cod , Haddock, Pollack and  Hakes which are all great eating..
 In Lake superior they have been found as deep as 1000 feet!
 I have read that burbot has the taste and texture of lobster, so yeah I would  cook it and give it a try... bob

Cool! In all the years I've fished the Finger Lakes I've never seen one caught or heard of anyone catching one. It is the only member of the Cod family that dwells in fresh water (deep water primarily)

Well, a BURBOT !!! What a memory that will be. I have seen them taken from a very deep lake in northern Vermont, but never knew they were in any Finger.... Premordial and beautiful and on a JIG. ....simply wonderful to  be out on the Lake. Imagine the old days when the natives were out on the Lake for lunch and take this in for the folks...just great stuff, Tg.....thanks for sharing !!

I got to thinking further about the Burbot. Like Cod they apparently are bottom oriented in deep water and are aggressive feeders and probably the major way to fish for them is jigging or maybe even still fishing (which not that many folks do anymore on Canandaigua). Jigging on the Finger Lakes seems to be gaining in popularity and it could be that more of these interesting fish will be caught going forward. Just a thought.

Here is an image of them. I have been looking into deep water techniques, in hopes to find options for the tough bite. I use the 1oz version and I swapped out the large hook with a smaller one and have been experimenting with trailers. The most successful trailer I have been using is my 4" green pumpkin grub or twister tail. I caught the burbot dancing the jig on the bottom. And the 9lb laker by reeling and twitch pause vertically through the water column.:)

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjxOrB--7yZKEi9Nwud6t5epyTmUhyqux7i3BXw7uN-_SvvruM9w