Whole Herring and Smelt

Big Water

That's alright,people may write about what a fish is supposed to like.

The thing that the name and the advertizement implies is that it made to target bottom feeders  (stink bait?). Salmonides like their food fresh.

I Have a buddy that is, well did put up a sporting good store here in PA. and he claims to make it the Fat Nancy's of the Poconos, he also has a place in the Mexico area up north and he claims they go to some lake in Vermont way back in the boondox and they ice fish for smelt. He claims they catch them by the 5 gallon buckets full, they eat them? he says they are sweet tasting you just gut them cut off the heads fry them and eat them bones and all :puke:  I told him to bring me a half a bucket home. Freeze them solid in the bucket and bring them home, but I got to thinking I can't do that because I won't have a yellow ticket to go with my bait. They didn't go yet so I have time to tell Ted forget about it. When you guys buy herring and smelt what do you use for a ticket that says they are disease free? Thanks for any suggestions

Edited by pap

Pap - Here in NYS if you buy the bait in a store you have to have a ticket with the date, how many you bought, and the initials of the person selling. It is good for 10 days from that date. If you aquire commercially prepared bait in a store or online you are supposed to keep the packaging that came with it as proof. There are some (many) bodies of water where possession is not permitted of live or "dead" bait. If you harvest your own sawbellies or smelt etc. they can only be used (as bait) in the  body of water in which they originated. In that case you would not have a "ticket" and the burden of proof would be on you.

Pacific Herring are the major forage for salmon and would work here but the regulators have something to say about using it.

(the regulators) meaning the law, fish comm, Yea, that's what I mean you need proof of you purchase, like SK8 said. What I used to do is vacpac the fish whole and alive then freeze no water, they are just like a hearty dead minnow, if you add water and freeze they get mushy, lets figure out how to purchase whole smelt and make it legal. If we bought the fish who could we use as a bait store, for a purchase date and time, for a fee do you guys think a bait shop would do this?

Why don't you just get the Whole Alewives from Familiar Bite?  They are Lake Ontario Alewives. Certified VHS Free.

http://cart.gltsupplies.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=166

Tim

How many come in eac hindividual pack? and what is the difference between the Green and Red labels other than the damn color?

Edited by Adk1

8 to a pack, 6 packs to a case

The difference is size, red label are smaller  5"-6"  and green label are 6"-7"

Of course, they're sold out for the season right now, but they'll have em back in the spring. 

I have used them and the do catch fish, but they are touchy to tune properly to get the correct roll.  Personally, I had better luck getting a proper tune out of the red label.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund