Trim Tabs on 221 Islander

Adk1

Was my first year with the 221 Islander. Boat ran great. I purchased a new 4 blade prop for the boat and it seemed to plane off and hold its plane better than with the standard 3 blade. However, the boat is still relatively heavy in the back with the V6 and the 9.9HP kicker off the kicker bracket, coolers and majority of people. Seriously thinking about having trim tabs installed.

Curious to know if anyone, particularly Islander owners, have had tabs installed. I would also like to know the pros and cons of different tab systems. i.e. hydraulic/electric vs the Smarttabs. I am leaning towards the electric or hydraulic. I think that it would make a huge difference in the boats performance.

The 6 and kicker really loads the rear ,Musky corrected the trollin issues with 400 lbs in the front...start with 200 and go from there...

yeah, mine wanders some too but I am not as worried about the wandering while trolling as I am the getting up on plane/staying on plane at lower RPM and putting the nose in the chop while on plane. The islander is used primarily for recreation at this point..maybe 60% rec and 40% fishing

i have the trim tabs and a 221v Islander with a 4.3l. mine are electric and I use them all the time the work great. Just remember that the smart tabs are designed for heavier boats made of fiberglass ours are much lighter, not sure that it makes a difference. 

I've got about 200 lbs up in the nose of mine, plus my gear.

My "high speed" runs consist of about 25 mph and it's up/out at about 15 mph or so.

With the extra weight, it comes back into the waves much better, sets better in the water, and is all and all a nicer ride IMHO.

I have been contemplating on adding weight to the front. Couple of things though. #1. I have my porta john in the front..#2  Ireally dont like the idea of adding 200+ lbs in one location and being there all the time. I fear for what the impact is on the decking..

• 2 weeks later...

I installed trim tabs on my 19 footer. Not only does it help my boat up on plane,it also enables me to correct lack of balance at plane because of the kicker that adds 90 pounds to the starboard side

StingRay

ADK, I put this on my 19.5 islander. It made a world of difference getting on plane faster and steering is 100 times better. Increased my speed by 10 mph!!

StingRayâ„¢ XRIII Senior

A revolutionary base material dramatically reduces drag

Gets you on plane 50% faster

Increases fuel efficiency

No-drill installation

This all-new hydrofoil is finished with Speed-XP, a revolutionary base material that actually binds a microthin layer of moisture to the surface that dramatically reduces hydrodynamic drag. No drilling is needed to install. Once installed, it will get you on plane 50% faster while reducing bow rise and increasing fuel efficiency by up to 40%. For motors 75-300 hp.

Colors: Black, White, Gray.

Text Size: AAA

Overall Customer Rating:

3.7 out of 53.7 out of 5

Read Reviews (15) |

Write a Review

Product Questions and Answers

2 questions | 2 answersRead all Q&A

See Product Research >>

Edited by steelfire

it was an easy fix. my boat will now plane at 4 mph. its crazy. It also pushes the bow down a little more and it cuts into waves better. The last boat I owned I put trim tabs on and it caused problems with my sonar. The lowrance tech told me that sometimes air bubbles around the transducer can cause funky readings. And that was what the trim tabs did. just my 2 cents as an Islander owner