Salmon net

• 2 weeks later...

I have used my net on my 23' boat for salmon all the way to bass and the larger hoop is cumbersome and way too over kill on smaller fish.  I would strongly suggest a net for the fish being sought after i.e. fingerlakes trout could suffice with a smaller net like the walleye net than the salmon/trout net for Lake O.

I stand behind my statements, this is my first hand experience but opinions are like butt holes everybody has one.  haha

I would take a tape measure and see how big each hoop is before ordering and make sure it will work for your setup.

I inherited the Town of Brighton's dog catcher's net and it gives the Beckman a run for its money.

The first time my brother in law saw me use it, he finally agreed that size does matter.

I have one of the Beckmans from Capt Larry (mostlymuskies) that I got a year or two ago.  It's not a bad net.  I like the hook free netting but other than that, quite honestly, I really like my Cummings net much better.  One thing I really do not like about the beckman is the smooth round handle.  When extending the handle you have to make sure the pin/peg lines up with the hole as you are sliding it out, and in the heat of battle, that's just one more thing to have to think about at a critical moment.  The octagonal shaped handles of the other nets don't have this issue.

The Beckman has been relegated to backup duty on my boat, the hoop is much smaller and overall it is a LOT heavier than the Cummings.

Tim

I won a Frabil power catch in a tourney last year and love it. It has a big hoop size with little weights on bottom of the net which help keep the net under the fish. The handle is "keyed" so there's no worry about having to line anything up. My only complaint is the handle is slightly too large which makes it a little tough to get in and out of some rod / net holders