Turkey loads

zckweber

3" lead 6's. I have killed a couple at 40 yds with them. Hevi shot might be better but who wants to pay that much to kill a bird?  3.5" shell has a bigger payload but how much more dead does he need to be? You will get to remember the hunt longer with the 3.5" since you can look at the big a$$ bruise on your shoulder :ninja: :ninja: That new stuff from Winchester(Longbeard XR i think) looks good from a range point of view, but I personally don't think it's as much fun shooting them that far away. All your preference I guess.

The bb size should match your choke tube. Heavy shot is over rated. copper plated lead specifically high velocity loads kill birds at longer ranges kinetic energy kills. I use high velocity 6's cause they pattern best. Gonna be a killing spring as late as this winter is hanging on. GL and be safe! Pattern your guns!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3" nitro 4shot with primos jelly choke.  If I pattern it it doesn't look impressive but I have not missed yet.  Thinking about getting a choke made for W. Longbeard.  If I do that, I guess I will need to get a scope as well to see what I am shooting at.  When I start wounding birds I will change.  Can't see the point when they be dropping in their tracks.

Crap and I've killed more turkeys than I can count all over this country with a one hundred year old Winchester model 12, with a thirty inch barrel shooting 2 3/4 mag 6 turkey loads. Like said above shoot your gun at different yardages and go smoke some birds.

Edited by Hookedup

Pattern,pattern try different things. Everyone has different opinions and options mines Mossberg835 extra full stock choke Winchester double x 4 21/4. Can put 15 pellets in the head at 70 on paper . But shoot what makes u feel comfortable

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have used 3" and 3.5" and don't see a huge difference.  I personally don't notice the recoil except when patterning loads. I ve killed them with 4, 5 and 6 shot and now generally use #5. As peviously stated, inside 30 yards it doesn't much matter. My wife flattens them with 20 gauge 6's. That said, premium shells may make a difference on occasion. If you chose to shoot at beyond 40 yards do your homework and find what works with your gun and chock. I also plan on trying the new Winchester Longbeard and I agree that a 20 yard shot is more thrilling than a 45 yarder.

More important than extreme magnum loads is patterning and choke tube selection.  I say use what works in YOUR gun for the yardage you are planning to shoot.  Every gun shoots different loads differently and patterning is the only way to know for sure.  Personally I find the heavi-shot products way over priced and over-rated unless you really wanna see how far away you can shoot a bird...

justin

It seems to be more fun to me when he is so close that when he gobbles you can feel the vibration!  Its also a lot of fun to shoot one with a bow. Not a handicap as far as range goes if you can get the bow drawn! :)  :)

• 4 months later...