Looking for some advice on meat rigs how long of a leader do you use from the flasher to the back hook of the rig? Is there any good color combinations that are better then others and what brand will run the best out of the package 8" or bigger flasher Thanks for the help want to try these this year

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was actually reading through this thread last night as I wanted to learn about running meat rigs, the question I didn't see answered was how long is the leader from the flasher to the rig? Also, can these be run off of dipsies or better off of riggers?

Thanks in advance. A lot of helpful info on that particular thread.

It does seem to be a "personal preference" issue and I'm sure many of the hardcore sport fishermen and especially the charter guys have their favorite setups and there is no one correct answer that meets the requirements of every situation. I do a lot of different types of fishing on different bodies of water (e.g. Finger Lakes and lake Ontario) so my various setups reflect this fact.  For lakers and salmon (the two species probably most likely to hit meat rigs) an 11 inch flasher seems to work best with the leader anywhere from 24 inches to 36 inches for lakers and 32 to 60 inches for salmon. On the Finger Lakes I primarily use the 8 inch flashers but also frequently use cowbells to pull meat rigs (as well as peanuts or Spin-n -Glows with the leaders at 18-32 inches for each option. Much of the reason for the shorter leader is because of fishing very close to bottom for lakers and big browns in shallower and to avoid "hang-ups"

Edited by Sk8man

I've been using meat for close to 30 years and it's still one of my top producers. First rod down and deepest is usually an 11" Hot Spot Bullfrog flasher trailing a Hot Spot #3 Rollerbaiter with meat. The Rollerbaiter comes equipped with a five foot leader. The one thing I like about the Rollerbaiter is I don't have to check the roll at the side of the boat. It's equipped with a rudder which gives it the right roll. 

So I guess with that being said, if you run a 60" leader behind a flasher you could not run a meat rig on a dipsy since you could not bring the fish to net with having such a long leader from the flasher on top of the leader going from the flasher to the dipsy.

I would have thought the leader would have been similar to what we use with a fly but that's why I appreciate the information because I am no professional.

Thanks!

It depends on what you are targeting.  If you just want to catch fish, a 48-60" leader will pick a mix of species.  If you want to specifically target mature kings in August, I like a 72" leader between the blade and bait head and troll slow, I look for 1.6-2.0 on my Depth Raider.

I don't normally run meat on divers, usually on riggers, though we did have one day last august where I ran a meat rig on a 400 copper and it fired 5 or 6 times, all nice steelhead.

Tim.

The leader length also depends on the size of the flasher.  I usually run an 11 inch kingfisher flasher with a 60 (to 72) inch leader.  If you're just starting out i suggest you buy some pre-rigged stuff to get your feet wet.  I almost always run meat off at least one dipsey.  You do have to run slide divers or (i) hand-line them in.  It's not as crazy as you would think it is.  Just need two people.  We handlined a 32 lbs king (among numerous others) into the net last year.  This was using a 60 inch leader and a 12 ft lead off the dipsey.  Deploying is a 2-man job, also.  I buy the eerie dearie strips and brine them with Pautzke.