copper and lead off of big boards

i will be running lead  and copper  of my  otter  boards.  im thinking  lead on one side copper on the other?  Should  the deeper lines be  on the outside closer to the board or  closer  to the boat ? Will  the releases  i use   in the spring work setting  them   heavy ?

I put my deeper (and longer lead) lines on the outside and have never had a problem with tangles doing it that way. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but it works for me. I use medium action Offshore releases for all my leadcores, but use the heavy duty Scotty releases for my coppers.

Good luck,

Chris

Deeper on the inside and shallow on outside that way when outside rod fires it naturally will flow over the top of the deeper inside line to the middle. Generally speaking the "spring time" releases are too light for the heavier lines. You can use the spring release with one or even two rubber bands to get through. I prefer the big Scotty pinch pad releases for my coppers

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

There are two Scotty releases. One smaller that is used for lighter lines generally spring browns and the larger ones used for downriggers/coppers. They are a pinch pad release. Use the larger ones for heavier lines (cores/coppers)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...

I'm with Chris on the heavier and deeper lines to the outside on my spread, but I really think it depends on how you run your spread, as well.  I usually run a 10 color off of one board, a 200-300 copper off the other board, and a 4 or 500 copper right down the chute.  I don't normally run too many other lines off of my boards, but if I do it is usually a surface line for steelhead.  If I keep my copper and leadcore on the boards way out to the boards, I avoid tangling with my longest copper down the chute.  It also keeps them from tangling with my divers.  I don't worry too much about which rod will go under which rod when the fish hits, I am more worried about tangling metal lines, because it is absolutely no fun to un-tangle them! :)