What is the best Sonar for trolling?

Just this spring I invested into a new Lowrance package just to keep up with the technology. In my previous boats I have always used Lowrance. For some reason this unit I have now (HDS 9 Touch) with the 50/200 transducer just doesn't seem to mark the fish the way my previous HDS 8 did with a 83/200 transducer. Maybe its me or maybe its the unit I am not sure. I have adjusted the transducer thinking it was at an angle and have changed some settings but still doesn't seem right. Or maybe its just I am not around the right size fish. Hate to spend this kind of money and think its the unit but just in case was is the general consensus on what unit works better. Thanks for any input

Often the transducer is supposed to be at an angle (usually defined in the installation instructions)..some of it depends on the hull design of your boat and the actual placement of it.  Airmar transducers (when properly matched to the unit and use) are viewed by many folks(me included) to be superior to the ones that are shipped with Lowrance products. Another factor may be which khz setting you are using at the depths you are fishing (or whether you use the auto setting) The cone angle is dramatically different for each. The 50khz is best at deep water detection. Another possibility to keep in mind is that a bad transducer can act that way too  and still detect bottom features fine.

I hear exactly what you are saying with the angle. The marina that installed the unit put the transducer at the lowest point next to the drain plug which was wrong and I changed the angle cause it was pointing to forward so it was marking half an arch. I only use the 200khz side of the transducer cause I will be over deep water but not far enough down to where I lose any detail. I heard before about the airmar so I think I may try that for my unit and go from there and mount it where it should be. I usually do it myself but figure they are the professionals and this is what I get. Thanks

If I'm not mistaken the 50 is the wider angle beam, and I'd recommend you use that while trolling. On our birds' we can use the dual function and overlay them (50 and 200) over each other for the optimal picture. Don't put your transducer at an angle. You want it shooting straight down.

Yep I am just trying to level the transducer out cause that marina that goofed he install so I am just tweaking it a click at a time. I am pretty sure I can use the dual function I just need to figure it out in the manual cause the manual is worse than some of my old college books. Thanks Yankee any advice from you is well noted.I have been side by side with you many times over the years.

Rick said a little better what I was trying to convey but what I meant by "angle" is the fact that many transoms are not perpendicular to the water and for a transom mount transducer it is often necessary to angle it from the already angled transom so it is pointing downward rather than in or out at an angle and when I said  the "auto setting" I was referring to "dual function" I just wanted to clarify that in light of that info. I'm not sure from a technical standpoint (in terms of manufacturing) how the Airmar and standard transducers from Lowrance differ but I know there have been a lot more problems reported on here for example for the Lowrance transducers. I've had both and the Airmar seemed to pick up more detail.

Edited by Sk8man

2 questions, I need a bit more clarity.  

1) You said it was mounted in the middle of the transom is it right smack dab above the drain plug?  If this is correct you need to mount it to the outside of the transom (nearest to the port or starboard side) away from any motor or propeller.

2) It sounds like it is mounted to high on the transom and is only picking up half the sonar ping because the bottom of the boat is blocking the "sonar echo".

Edited by Chas0218

I have an offset transom for the motors both being outboards like an offshore boat so it really doesn't get any interference from them but yes its is mounted way to low in my opinion and I really can't change that now without pulling the boat. So for now I will do the best I can and play with some settings to get by and in the fall when I pull the boat I will move it to where it belongs and hope for the best next season. Thanks

I had legacy helping me with a charter last evening and we were trying to get my hd10 to mark or dirty up the picture and he either turned off or put the surface clarity on low. It was amazing what we were marking with detail.

Chas is right I missed the fact that it is positioned where it is. The thing you have to ensure is that it is also away from any chines or strakes (longitudinal raised areas on the hull to disperse water) where they end at the transom as these are sources of turbulence as well as the prop wash displacement. If you have room on the transom you might consider a transom mounting panel (usually plastic substance) so you can move the transducer around for optimal placement. (Cabela's used to carry them)

Edited by Sk8man