Downrigger Ball Trolling Depth Chart

Attached is a chart you can use to help determine the depth of your downrigger ball when trolling.

The depth of the ball is determined by the angle of the cable and line-out...this chart helps you to indirectly measure the angle.

The chart assumes the DR boom is 3 feet above the surface of the water. If yours is different or if you want numbers for different amounts of line-out let me know and I will add to the chart for ya.

Please note that I rounded the numbers to avoid decimals and small fractions.

The first column represents the difference (in feet) between the point where the cable would enter the water if the boat was not moving (cable straight down) and the point where the cable enters the water when trolling.

post-151852-0-38159300-1403755911_thumb.jpg

Set your frequency on your fish finder. I can see all my balls anytime their below 15' on my new Lowrance hds. Frequency is set at the 83 setting. 14lb fish weights have almost zero blowback even at 110' with fishhawk and flasher n fly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by sammyslayer

That won't show you how deep the ball is. Bet you if you Troll fast enough to have lots of blowback and check the ball depth... then don't change the DR but come to a complete stop so the cable hangs straight down and check the sonar again it will read the same depth.

Fishfinder still only gives the distance to the transducer not actual depth...

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When turning the outside ball always shows it is moving faster. If it shows me depth of ball compared to the transducer I'm satisfied. I'm not sure why going by graph, that shows you the depth of the ball(in relation to the transducer) is inaccurate as you make it seem. I was simply informing others that if you change your transducer frequency (if possible) you can see your rigger weights. I hate to say it but I do not understand your arguments.

Edited by sammyslayer

When turning the outside ball appears to rise in the water column because the back of the boat swings towards it and away from the inside ball. So what you see on the sonar has nothing to do with depth but it is due to the fact the transducer moves closer to the outside ball and father from the inside ball. The sonar is reporting distance not depth.

So a fish that Is not directly under the boat but marked by your graph is actually deeper than it shows? Not tor argue with you but you seem educated on this technology so I am wondering.

Edited by sammyslayer

Sammyslayer

This is just a friendly discussion.

But it is just the opposite... a fish that is NOT directly under the boat is NOT as deep as it shows on the sonar. If you can imagine that your sonar has a ridiculously wide cone that extends all the way to the surface then a fish 1 foot deep but 50 feet away would show as 50 feet on the sonar.

This whole thing gives me a headache. Spitting hairs with this kind of fishing is rediculous. Your only on here to sell your unit.

Silver Fox

Hmmm...I thought I was discussing how to determine downrigger depth with a free chart. It might be a headache to you but I like discussing theory.

This whole thing gives me a headache. Spitting hairs with this kind of fishing is rediculous. Your only on here to sell your unit.

Lol Scott!

Splitting hairs for sure. Who cares what depth your riggers are running at. Fish will move to hit a bait! When do we get to the point where technology starts to hinder our abilities?

Edited by GAMBLER

Lol Scott!

Splitting hairs for sure. Who cares what depth your riggers are running at. Fish will move to hit a bait! When do we get to the point where technology starts to hinder out abilities?

engineers make fishing equipment, fishermen catch fish. I was simply trying to expose the fact that the equipment most of us use can give us more information. The fact that their is a degree of error should have been a given.

Theory and math give some of us a headache and it is part of the fun to others...there is a place for all of us on the water. The main thing is you catch fish and have fun doing it.

sammyslayer...I didn't intend to pick your comments apart. Just trying to have a friendly discussion of the technical aspects of it.

Also, I just realized that the comments I mentioned above work for a transom mounted downrigger. It is a bit different for a rail mounted DR. I will post a graphic that illustrates the difference in a few minutes for anyone who is curious.

Like I said...it is just theory so feel free to pick it apart. I like friendly technical discussions.

That won't show you how deep the ball is. Bet you if you Troll fast enough to have lots of blowback and check the ball depth... then don't change the DR but come to a complete stop so the cable hangs straight down and check the sonar again it will read the same depth.

As I reflected on this comment I realized I had a transom mounted DR in mind. For a rail mounted DR it is a bit different because as you begin to troll the ball moves towards the back of the boat (closer to the transducer). Since the first few feet of DR cable is used just to get back to the transducer...when the ball is trailing the boat it will be closer to the transducer than when it is hanging straight down.

The attached illustration is a bit cluttered so this is a warning that it could make your headache worse...but I think it illustrates the theory OK.

post-151852-0-68277700-1403833980_thumb.jpg

The illustration on picture exactly happen each and every time I troll with downrigger in lake Ontario Canada I swear I am not getting any luck as I think I can see fish suspended at 120 fow I sert downrigger at 120 feet but no bite at all I just brought td hawk will try next week to see what will be the actual depth but illustrated diagram is exactly whati m dealing with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The illustration on picture exactly happen each and every time I troll with downrigger in lake Ontario Canada I swear I am not getting any luck as I think I can see fish suspended at 120 fow I sert downrigger at 120 feet but no bite at all I just brought td hawk will try next week to see what will be the actual depth but illustrated diagram is exactly whati m dealing with

Adnanfarooq,

Let us know your results...it will be great to see actual measurements compared to the theory.

I will for sure I usually troll between 2 miles/hr to 3 miles/hr this weekend will attached my td hawk and send it down and will make chart will post it

Thanks... Please also measure how far the DR boom is above the water's surface. If your readings help verify the chart then I will do the math to expand the chart and add more data to make it more useful to those who do not have a device to message depth.