Cheaters?

The main line that you hook your free sliding cheater on will have a bow in it from the drag of the water.  Your free sliding cheater will slide down the line until it reaches the farthest part of that bow (usually about half way down your main line, depending on speed and currents).

It just slides to the bow in the fishing line.

From my observations, it seems to land about 5/8-3/4 of the way to the ball.

You can miss a lot of fish unless your quick on the draw, again only from I've seen.

If Fixed, I use a rubberband half hitched to the line, then put your cheater snap swivel around the line like you would for a slider, just above the rubberband, then include the tag end of the rubberband in the snap before snapping it.Woorks great when you want to mupp a spoon above a F/F or spoon

I like free sliders. They account for quite a few additional bites over the course of a season. It's usually easy to tell if it's a slider bite because the rod really pounds before releasing from the fish pulling on the belly of the line. You just have to remember to reel like a mofo to pick up the slack when it fires and get tight to the fish as quickly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They also give you a feel for the mood of the fish that day, since they are short leads. If you are getting a lot of slider bites, that should be an indication that you might want to tighten up your leads on the main line.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund

Good info here and Tim's comments (as usual) are right on target.One of our steelies (frequent inhalers of sliders) was caught on a slider with an orange spoon today.

P.S. Although "cheaters" and "sliders" are often used to mean the same thing....they used to be referred to separately. Cheaters were leaders used on Seth Green rigs or downriggers in a fixed position (say clipped into a bead chain) and located about 3 to 6 ft above a set of cowbells (previously called flashers) and they could be 12-30 ft long and they were used as something following the attractors and often with a spoon or twin minnow like lure. Sliders are usually fixed or free floating but are usually about a little shorter than the length of the rod being used (say 7-8 ft long).

Edited by Sk8man

• 3 weeks later...

They say there are no stupid questions so here I go mupped same as a stacked release?

You can do it that way if you really want to, but it is probably easier to do what Buckboard mentioned above and hitch it to your mainline via a rubberband with a half hitch.  That way there is less gear in the water and if the fish hits the MUP rig it will just break the rubber band and slide down to the main line lure and you can fight it from there.  The MUP phrase is just an abbreviation for Mag Up. Meaning lots of time guys will run a regular size spoon off their main line and attach a fixed cheater about 5 ft or so above the rigger ball with a mag spoon trailing a little ways behind the main spoon on bottom, thus the term MUP.  Hope that helps.