Bigger fish seem to have moved out.

Kevin J Legg

Went to bed at 8:15 pm and was fishing by 2:30 am. Fishing solo I caught 5 and dropped two more, Most of the fish seem to be in the 18-20" range although I did drop a bigger one. Not sure with the bigger ones have gone but haven't caught any over 23" in the last two outings. 

post-144887-0-12903200-1409139957_thumb.jpg

Kevin,

Great catch. You are the 'Walleye Whisperer'! Do you think time of year and forage opportunities might effect location and concentration of larger fish? What have been your past experiences?

Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm sure it has a great deal to do with forage and possibly migration patterns. I'm actually not sure if these river fish are residents or if they migrate . At times I've seen them spitting up alewives or large gobies and yesterday one was absolutely stuffed with small gobies. Must have had a dozen about 2.5-3" in it's stomach. Makes me think I should run a small stick and see what happens.

The big fish on the lake definately migrate and are fairly predictable although a little less so this year.

I can give my perspective for this last week since I've been out starting last Saturday and it's the first I've been up this far. Fished charity, piegon , grenidere, mouth of the river off cape vincent. Just found fish recently yesterday, boated one and lost one today along with sheepshead, they seem to be occupying the same water, along with some bait schools. The only consistent thing for me, they are in 40 to 60ft. There is a lot of water out there, humbling week for sure. Fish came on reef runners gold prism. Went back this evening, they were moving up when I left, try to be there at daybreak tomorrow.

Seeing the abundant small bait in the stomachs of the ones I'm catching at night, perhaps they aren't feeding during the day. They are absolutely stuffed with bait. Kind of unusual as they often have nothing in the stomachs. Also, the 10# plus one we caught yesterday changes my opinion on the big ones leaving the area.

Edited by Kevin J Legg