otisco with justin and gang

johnnywalleye

got to celebrate somebody big weekend along with 4 friends of justin for a few hours of fishing friday nite,my 1st experience on a craft seeing otter boards ,masts and down riggers all going at once.all i can say is wow.it was a done well.got to see a small boy catch his 1st eye a 3lb then his dad caught nothing which ended up being a very healthy 6lb fish..the stars where out and beautiful and with the moon rise it was just a classic evening on otisco....had lots of laughs and it was a good nite..and a shout to tracy...good job  keeping it all a shhhhhhhhh...and so lomg 4 now;john

You're hanging out in good company Johnny :)  Justin has them dialed in and probably will have them trained to feed out of his hand by the end of the season :lol:

I want to thank my better half for surprising me by having my good friends matt, phil (he rebuilt the boat with me in his shop for free!) Wyatt, and Joe meet us at camp for some walleye fishing.

Les,

I dont share my trained walleyes! John,

Thanks for your patience...i planned on just the 2 of us and ended up with 7 guys on the boat!!!

We went back out and made the exact same pass but shallow. Ended up landing 1 more keeper a toss back barely 18 and some bass. We lost several fish and many short hits. Had chaos when a passing boat crowded me up against a dock and i squeezed us through. Then they cut in across my lines...i tightened the drag and attemptted breaking them or spooling them...braid wins these tug o wars usually...but they actually turned around and ran up on my spread before getting spooled for their lure. I kept going faster to keep em outta my flatlines while we reeled all our gear in....PIA! ANYONE that is new to trolling, especially at night should ask some questions on here and if you arent new you know better! You CANT be more lit up than me and there is NO excuse for the bs here lately. Im pretty sick of guys that run into my gear. I share, help guys, answer questions and then the guys drive over me...

Here's the deal when 2 trollers are hugging shore approaching eachother 1 HAS to turn into the lake...Now i dont care if you want to pass real close i do it but you better know the contours and dont snag me. The guy pinned on shore CANT turn. Now I give courtesy the first time we pass and next time we pass you turn and give me courtesy. NOBODY gets the shore every pass. Next thing...you DONT motor by a troller and then get in front and drop gear and when approaching head on you dont turn around quick and troll right in front of someone. If there other boats trolling a section dont pull in right in front anchor and start jigging wait till they go by then go in tight as possible or get there first. Pay attention to the other boat he may be fighting a fish or short handed and might need a little more space. Always figure a boat may have boards, dipsies out to side, and long lines...plan accordingly. You have to share and nobody can say i dont!!

Sorry for the rant but enough is enough

Still had a fun night with a great bunch of guys. Nothing more fun than watching Phil and his son get and see their first walleyes...especially after all the work and material they put in my boat plus having a major project in there shop taking up space. THANK YOU PHIL SLATER!

Sent from my LG-L38C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds as though everyone had a good time despite the "mayhem" Justin.  It is pretty amazing how many a******s you meet up with out there on the water while boating let alone fishing. The jet ski dudes and the "cigar boats" on Canandaigua are my nemesis nearly every time out The problems seem especially prevalent on the smaller lakes where space is at a premium but it is still totally unnecessary to crowd folks no matter where and especially at night when someone is well "lit up".....not only dumb but dangerous. I would venture to say however that whoever the inconsiderate person was in your situation I would assume it probably wasn't one of our folks on here but it sure is worth pointing out these situations for all of us to be aware of and to maintain respect for spacial considerations while out there. The last time out I had two boats racing each other out in the middle of the lake heading right for me and I had to wave my arms  and gesture them to avoid my lines. I also think alcohol may play a role in some of these situations. I know it does at night on Honeoye.

Kevin im certainly not walleye fishing much when there is heavy boat traffic. This stuff is happening with 1 or 2 other boats on the whole lake. Im pretty sure the problem boats are drinking heavily based on what i hear of their conversations. Boating and alcohol dont go together well... at least the person driving should refrain.

I coulda tried to get numbers after, but i didnt think a possible confrontation in the dark with intoxicated strangers in boats was prudent. I wanted one....but ive gotten wiser. I know we have to police our own....but sometimes its better to move along. Plus I cant run anyone down in my boat unless they want to be caught....some guys can canoe faster! Could have been worse and when you fish as much as i do things happen...

It shouldn't matter how much or little you fish,this is unacceptable behavior!!! One of the reasons I quit snowmobiling was because of the drunks, and with the power and speed of these newer machines it got down right scary!!! Now they put all kinds of laws into effect that the ordinary guy can't have a little fun. If you don't stop this soon someone will get hurt, and maybe a law will discontinue us guys to NO fishing after dusk. Don't say "that will never happen" because it almost happened on our local lake. Due to numb heads trolling at night and then running full speed threw the no- wake zone and launch area and upset a elderly man trying to load up a 14ft aluminum boat and he was injured. Now it's policed to a certain extent at night. But now when he's bored he plagues us off for something to do. It only take 1 idiot to ruin it for all of us.

Edited by pap

I certainly agree pap, but i dont know for sure they had too much. It definitely only takes 1 serious problem and things change for everyone...if i could only fish in daylight id sell my place, boat, and go to ontario. I do know they pinched me off and they were having fun. Its not practical to patrol at night regularly on the lake for the DEC or sherriffs and the launches are private so its a free for all at night from a boat. I can make a call next time...if its obvious.

You did right Justin to let cooler heads prevail. It only takes a minute for something to escalate and something happen that you would like to take back.  Plus you can never tell if you are dealing with someone who is mentally unstable.   Easy to just boat away and fish another day or night.  Beside you have to figure if they dont  know how to boat correctly, they probably dont know how to fish either and you probably wont see them anymore :)

Frank funny thing is they were using same lure as me. Thats why i thought they read my posts. They got 2 nice ones so they said a minute before they cut me off. I saw them land several bass that went back and 1 fish didnt go back that i saw prob an eye. So ill prob see em once a week for a while. No big deal bet they go wider next time. I have plenty of good water to work that will keep me away from anyone flatlining. Just about time to fish over the weeds again. Ask Johnnywalleye how hard it is to find a seam in the weeds in the dark even if you know about where....and if theres a chop youll never do it without waypoints :):-):):-)!

Justin,

I had an incident today on the lake when a charter cut behind me and hung my 400 foot copper and FF on his rigger. Not a boat within a half mile and no one at all behind me and he had to cut that close.  After pulling lines and chasing him down he said it hooked his rigger and he threw it bask in after he unhooked it. At that point it was no longer attached to my backing. Rather than trash him on a post, I called him for an explanation and he apologized and at least he offered to pay for half the replacement.cost. 

Pretty well handled id say kevin. Still PITA, but we just move on cuz neither of us is gonna quit! It was weird for me because I had never had an incident on otisco and then three in 2 weeks and a bunch of other minor close calls.

Kevin..... The fellow came too close in open seas, snags your equipment, then brings it in and then throws it back into the water....? What, the FF? Or the copper....or both? Seems like he could have brought it onboard if for no other reason than to not to pollute the lake up with junk. Sounds like "not firing on all cylinders" to me.......At least you got an apology and stuff....but GEEEZ! And a charter no less?....  Kind of a big picture of "where's their head at"....... :shake:   Everybody makes mistakes.....but in layers?   :speechless: