Buffalo Snow and deer

GAMBLER

I think it will be hard on the yearlings. Hopefully they can Hurd up in some pine thickets. I know if I owned land out that way I'd try my best to run a tractor or snowmobile on a few trails to make it easy on them. I've done it down in alfred during hard winters with my atv and man does it turn into a deer highway

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Been hunting the ski country of Western NY for thirty years.  I can tell you when the food runs out, the deer leave.  Deep hardwoods teaming with deer when the mast crops are dropping are devoid of deer in the middle of the winter.  It is not unusual for Adirondak deer to travel 20-30 miles to yarding areas to winter.  With the snow bands heavy in a narrow 12 mile swath, deer don't have to go too far to get relief.  The hard thing is for the small plot hunter who has been seeing a good buck on trail camera may find his deer gone for good as the deer may find greener pastures in the move and stay.

Soon they will be roaming the streets of buffalo just to get out of the deep snow.I don't know how the late dropped fawns will weather it.  I saw a fawn last weekend that was only 30lbs. at best.  I had to look twice expecting to see spots.