Adding weight to big boards

When adding weight to big boards do you add weight to outside board only, both outside and inside, front/ back etc. I added weight to mine years back and just noticed I only did outside back in rear 6 " or so. Looking to see what others have done

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My AmiSh Outfitters AZAK boards run low and pull hard due to the synthetic material's almost neutral buoyancy so weights are not necessary. If I ran wood I'd have to figure an equal division of weigh, on both boards in the middle of the center of gravity when under tow would provide good submergence. Maybe a bit more on the inside would create more drag?

Edited by ReelPower

Has anyone else tried to modify otter boats by adding a piece of metal to the keel to make it longer to pull harder? I tried but the piece I attached was way too heavy and they sunk too much on inside turns.  Was just trying to come up with some kind of wing to make them pull harder without the 2nd keel

Has anyone else tried to modify otter boats by adding a piece of metal to the keel to make it longer to pull harder? I tried but the piece I attached was way too heavy and they sunk too much on inside turns.  Was just trying to come up with some kind of wing to make them pull harder without the 2nd keel

I have seen some pictures of otter boards with home made  4x12 strips of metal screwed on to the keel horizentally just above the weight.It adds very little weight ,but an immense amout of water resistance.

Mine have an extra keel with a half weight that does the same ,but the boards will not sink.

You cannot get the half weights in stores. You have to order them direct from Big Jon. Remember,the double keels with full weights will sink if the towing pressure is off or the tow line breaks.

Another thing that is advisable is writing your address or phone number on the boards. They sometimes break off, but I know of at least one occasion that other fisherman pick them up, contact the owner and return them.

• 3 weeks later...