Andy Reekers and Evil Eyes

Erskin

Do they still make these?  The Reekers are real light and seem like they would be good brown trout spoons.  I have a bunch of these in different sizes from 1 1/2" to about 3".  The evil eyes are two types of spoons.  Some are metal like a regular spoon and others are very light and shaped more rounder and wider at the bottom.  Those feel almost like a flutter spoon.  The evil eyes have a round faceted bead built into the spoon. What are these good for?

Reekers and Evil Eyes are classic spoons and they work on just about everything. If you do serious trout and salmon fishing I'd hold on tight to them :)

The reekers will work right in with more contemporary spoons when fish are looking for a smaller meal. Evil eyes have a slightly slower trolling speed range and work very well when fish are looking for a slower presentation. Back in the day, evil eyes were a great spring spoon when the water was cold, and we'd mix them with some of the broader suttons which ran at the same slower trolling speeds. 

i agree with Sk8man that there's room for some of the better patterns of each in a modern trollers tackle box.

Edited by John E Powell

As Les and John have stated, for the most part they have a lower effective speed range than some of the more modern spoones but on a slow troll they are killer, browns love them, and of the two types of evil eyes you mentioned, the ones that a metal like a regular trolling spoon are the Evil Eye Monarchs.  Those are a bit more speed tolerant and can be effectively run at normal king speeds, but even the bigger Size evil eyes will slay the kings on a slow troll that stays in their effective speed range.

Don't know if Andy Reekers are still made, but Eppinger is still making all of the evil eyes in a wide variety of colors.  Expensive, unless you buy them in bulk from the website.

http://www.eppinger.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?fs=1&mp=1&init=1 

Erskin, if you on your next post tell us that you have these single hook style spoons that are blueish and white and have a Pflugar something or nother on them and your not sure if these are any good or not????  Im gonna throw the drool flag on ya........

I have a lot that do not have any names on them.  The ones that do have names are Canadian and US.  The ones made in Canada are Williams Warbler, also heavy spoon called a Wizard 77 then there is a US and Canadian patent called a Equalizer  I have some weird ones with holes punched in them.  Some say Nasty Boy, Heddon Sounder and a lot of the other ones with the holes don't have a name. Most have circular holes in them but one has six rectangle shaped holes in it. There are a few of the other ones Gibbs Gator ,Flutter Chuck Magnum with a devil face on the front, Slammer, Manistee by Luhr Jensen, Copy Cat 7400, Red Eye Lures but heavier than the other ones and a solid spoon with no red bead in the middle.  I have some that have a diamond shape stamped in the middle.  One spoon is unique because it is silver on top and gold on the bottom about 4" long and where it is separated, it is diagonal and not straight across.  I have shorter ones also with the diamond stamped almost in the middle.  I have a bunch of spoons that have many diamond shapes stamped throughout the whole spoon.  These are different that the ones with the one diamond stamp.  They are much lighter.  Also G1Shop-1 spoons?  I couldn't make out what was stamped on the inside scoop.  I found out some of the other ones are called Honey Bees.

Edited by Erskin

Erskin - Consider yourself a lucky guy....you have some great spoons there (e.g. Heddon Sounder...great for lakers, Flutter Chuck mag salmon spoon, Williams Wobbler for lakers, some of the Red Eyes are good pike spoons) not sure from description about some of the others pics might be real helpful to folks.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically ALL the Evil Eyes work well and especially at lower speeds (just before they start to spin too). I have nearly every color and pattern in the standard size and have caught fish on nearly all which makes me think it is more the action and speed than the particular color or pattern. The smaller sizes are real good for rainbows and browns and steelies and can tolerate higher speeds better than the standard size. The magnum ones seem most bothered by higher speeds. Evil Eye standards work fine in Laker O and in the Finger Lakes and they are one of my favorite "reliable" spoons whether on downriggers, Seth Greens rigs, or occasionally trolled behind an attractor.

Edited by Sk8man

bandrus is right....and the best way is to run lures right near the boat and check the action and correlate it with whatever speed device you are using. It is a good GENERAL measure but once the lure is down under a lot of other factors are at work (e.g. currents etc.) Also your speed will depend on what you are running for instance most spoons may be pretty tolerant of medium speed while some jointed sticks may be more tolerant than solid sticks. If you are running both together you may have to "compromise" to get both running together acceptably at certain speeds. I have usually had better luck with browns at slower trolling speeds in the Spring with the lures run way back from the boat but I know that is not always the case.