I believe it's time to buy new downrigger rods What Brand?

Patriot

We're run Heartlands for everything on the boat, but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. We're also looking for something the Heartland line up couldn't offer us. We've been looking for something that will help improve rigger hook ups when fishing below 125'. The heartlands just don't have enough azz. We lose a lot of fish on our riggers when fishing deep.

John E. Powell you are very well versed in your craft and have taken Rod Building to an Einstein type level. Very Impressed with your extensive knowledge and ability to put it in layman's terms.!!! Oh yeah I agree with the Ugly Stix Downrigger rods, I have over 40 of them in all sizes.

We're run Heartlands for everything on the boat, but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. We're also looking for something the Heartland line up couldn't offer us. We've been looking for something that will help improve rigger hook ups when fishing below 125'. The heartlands just don't have enough azz. We lose a lot of fish on our riggers when fishing deep.

That’s the way it is Rich. These manufacturers make a product then stop making it 4 or 5 years later because they think they’re keeping up with the Jones’s. Doesn’t matter if people like the item or not. It was the same thing with the Berkley Powerrigger rods I used. I know they’re updating technology used in making stuff but if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

Well John P......I chatted up Tony Childs today, read this over again, and had Mike R in Canada order the materials. Now I can't wait for him to hand me these rods at the Tightline event in a few weeks. The three of you are all very knowledgeable! Thanks again for the time and effort you put into this post.

Post a follow up when you've had a chance to fish with them. I know it might be a while, Mike texted me looking for blanks. Small world eh?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by John E Powell