how lovely our local press is

Well, at least they reported on it rather than ignoring it. There's going to be some happy C.O.s and sad fishermen if they start wetting lines, "any time after midnight" though  :rofl:

They stage.  A creek like Catherine on April 1st, you have to.  Not only do you stage but you have to have a gang to protect your spot.  Not necessarily wetting the line.  A few minutes before 7 is legal. 

I don't bother going trout fishing anymore on April 1st.  I deal with it up North because of the size of the fish but I won't do it in FL tribs.  I can not say if the crowds are better or worse than they use to be but I prefer to wait until the majority of people give up and then I go.  Less fish but better atmosphere.

As far as the media is concerned.  Been watching them every morning showing pails of fish being dumped in stocker streams.  Gets those 1 day a year fisherman amped up and ready to go catch something.  This is their special day.  Mine are May 1st, 1st Sat in May, 3rd Sat in June, and 3rd Sat in November.