Seneca Lake downriger/dipsy setup help

I would like to preface this post by saying that I am a catch and release fisherman and I personally feel more comfortable giving information to strangers when I know they aren't going to be raping the lake that I enjoy my time on. I need some help with downrigger/dipsy setups for Seneca.  A friend of mine has a vacation home on the west side of Seneca and we are there quite a bit hitting wineries/breweries and such as well as just hanging out by the fire to relax.  I was always a bass fisherman and traded in the bass boat for a Starcraft Fishmaster 1961 that is in immaculate condition and would like to start trolling for Lakers/Land Locked/Bows.  I have very little knowledge when it comes to this type of fishing.  The knowledge I do have has been given to me by reading threads on this forum and by people like yourself having the decency to call me and talk for a few minutes.

The boat came with 2 downriggers.  A cannon Uni-troll HP and a Cannon Easy-Troll.  From what I understand, the Uni-Troll should be able to handle weights in excess of 15 pounds but the Easy-Troll will be limited to about 8 pounds?  Is this statement pretty fair?  My friend that has the house said that the times he has been out on guided trips, the fish were primarily caught in the 80-130 feet range.  I understand this will change based on bait location so I dont know if that Easy Troll will work out that well since an 8 pound weight will be pretty light for 130 feet, right?  

I will be buying a few downrigger line counter reel/rod combos to get started.  What are you guys spooling up on these combos?  Mono, braid???  

I am going to purchase a bunch of spoons in alewife patterns along with the standard chrome/black chrome/blue combos and I will also pick up a bunch of flashers to drag behind the weights.  Speaking of weights, 15 pounders pretty suitable?  in torpedo or shark styles?

I would also like to drag some dipsy's in conjunction with the downriggers.  What do you suggest for dipsy size and color?  What trolling rod/reel combos do you guys use?  I assume mono is a no-no because of getting the dipsy to release?  

Im sure I forgot a bunch of stuff but anything you could do to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  

By the way, I just threw a Garmin EchoMap 73dv on this thing so I should be good with charts and sonar.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Thanks,

Jim

I fish Lake O.

I can't comment on the rating of your downrigger, I have used Scotty and Walker.

As for the weight, I would use minimum 12 lbs, and if you can 15 lbs.  The torpedo is known to have the lowest drag profile in the water, and therefore the least blowback.

As for dipseys, well let's start with the rod. I like to use a rod that is longer than the rigger rods, to help get me over and far away from the rigger line.  It helps when you have set the rigger and you need to release the dipsey line.  So typically my rigger rods are 8 ft and my dipsey rods are 9 to 10 ft. What kinds, there's a lot of nice rods out there, but if you use wire, you should get a roller rod. Talora makes a nice one (that's what I use), but they are big $$.  Anyhow, if you can find a rod with similar rollers to what the Talora uses, then it should be good. Note, not all rollers are the same, some designs are bad and the wire gets stuck between the roller and the guide.

In terms of line, you have 2 choices, braid and wire. Mono has too much stretch and at lengths of more than 100 ft, it's almost impossible to pop the dipsey. Once the fleas are out, the braid will be a disaster/unusable. My advice is go to wire, you can use it year round. I use 7 strand, torpedo wire, smoked, 30 lb.  Get a 7 strand or 19 strand. I don't think the 19 strand is worth the extra money, I have 7 strand that is 4 years old and still in great shape. If you take care of it, it lasts long.  Do not go for single strand wire (yes, you can by this), it is terrible. You want to get 1000 ft of it, or 300 yards is close enough.

So, if you get wire, what reel do you use? A size 30 reel will fit some braid backing (about 100 to 200 ft) and 1000 ft of wire. You want one with a line counter, so you know how much line is out, and how deep your dipsey is (more or less). I use Oukuma Convector 30D reels, they are in my opinion the best value for money out there. Others will chime in, and there are better reels out there, but I think you need to spend $100 more per reel to get any market improvement.

If I were you I would hire Nick Overacker and take notes on his setups and how he catches fish on Seneca. It would save you tremendously in the learning curve. Lakebound88 on here.

reelstoriesfishingcharters.com

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

I second the recommendation John (Nautitroller) made regarding getting out there with Nick (ReelStories charter - lakebound88 here on LOU). You will get to see all of the rigging and how it is used up close and personal and used the right way ...it would be a much better use of some money than just shooting in the dark for equipment wise and you'll learn more from that than reading stuff online etc. Harvey (Troutman 87 ) makes great torpedo weights and I would suggest 12 lbs max. rather than 16 for your particular downriggers. Your arms will thank me :lol:

with manuall riggers its easier to get depth with wire dipseys.  you can also use smaller size dipseys in conjuction with your riggers for depth without having to crank as much cable out.  All that said if you can afford it definatly get the charter as it will give you a base of knowledge to expand on.  This site is great for info but can almost be overload sometimes.  start simple get comfortable than expand on it.  

10 to 12 pound for rigger weights is all you will need. Wire dipsys would be a must for me. For rigger rod line I would use some sea flea or 30 pound mono necked down to lighter flouro. And like said above a trip with Capt Nick would save you in the long run.

Thanks for the advice.  I am going to give Nick a call sometime today hopefully.  I realistically was just looking for line size, dipsy colors, etc. to make some equipment purchases.  I will most likely try to replace the cannon easytroll with something more suitable.  I think my friend who owns the house actually was on a charter with nick a few times and believe it or not that was my plan from the get go.  Get out for real world experience with someone who knows what theyre doing.  

As for dipsys; black, number one and mag. Run them off a high quality roller rod with a good quality reel (luv my convector) with #30 7 strand stainless line. I use malin but there are other good ones too. I like a 14' lead behind the dipsy with a snubber then your choice of flasher fly combo. ( use what Nick tells you) pay attention to the lengths of your lead between flasher and fly. (Experiment)

Then lead core or copper for your flat lines. Hills n valleys in Elmira has it all or they will get it for you.

Good luck, we look forward to your reports!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Jim -  In addition to the torpedo weights you may also wish to consider one of the fish weights bikiinibottom sells in the 10 lb. size for your application. I've used them for the last three times out and they run beautifully and the blowback appears minimal (tried thus far to 100 ft) compared to the standard fish weights or cannonballs.  I know the "purists" prefer the heavier is better approach but for much of downrigger fishing in the Finger Lakes 10 lbs suffices. Lake O can  be a different animal because of the differences in the way the currents operate and their strength. A lot of guys like leads that are longer than their rod length for dipseys but if you fish solo you'll be trying to net the fish while bringing it in to the boat so you will be hand lining it with longer leads and this is fine if you are experienced with it but it is easier and you'll probably lose fewer fish if you keep the length of your dipsey set up close to the length of your rod (e.g. 8 ft.setup for an 8 1/2 ft rod) if you go solo.

There is a lot more blow back on a 10 lb than on a 12 lb. I've measured it. The extra 2 lbs makes a huge difference.

As for dipsey go with black, size 1 with mag ring, as others have pointed out. Get at least 2, and if you can spare the cash get 4.  We fish with 4 almost all the time.

IMHO I'd start with a good rod reel set-up for dipsys or slide diver and load it with 30# mono or braid. Get use to it the up-grade to wire....... wire is up forgiving will cut thru any of your other set-ups and it's a MUST to keep the line (wire ) tight or it may kink , bend = break and lost $$$$$ gear...... I'm sure Nick will fill you in and get you going in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I will not be up this weekend.  I have 2 little league games and cant get away.  My next possible trip up will most likely be over Memorial Day.  I will try to give you a buzz later in the day.

Thanks,

Jim

I fished yesterday and had little to no luck. Only moved two rods. We pulled flatlines all day. We fished south outta Lodi down to the scout camp with no avail. We picked up and motored over to Severne and fished north. We fished the east side all the way past Dresden. The water was 38-39° til we hit Dresden, then the fish hawk was marking anywhere from 39-43° for a down temp. After our two hookups we decided to go back across and fished Willard back to Lodi pt. The water temp was about the same in 10-15fow. Since they weren't in close yet. I'd start off in 100fow and stack my riggers 20'- 80' fow and maybe set out a SGR 150' to find your target range.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app