Cannon STX

I used my Cannon STX downriggers for the first time last week. I wasn't impressed by how much they jerk when they reach the water surface on the retrieve.

That's going to create problems down the road, if I don't keep an eye on the cable for fraying. Not reel happy. I like the 20DT better.

Amish Outfitters has ball snubbers that really smooth out the jerk from the sudden stop. They have been working well for me on my cannons.

Patriot, I agree completely. I bought a couple around four years ago, used them once, and took them off the boat. I have lost too many weights with much less violent "jolt" than these. Went back to Scotty. much smoother and more fishable IMO. I will make somebody a great deal, complete with swivel bases, vector double rod holders, and sub-troll cable and antenna on one of them !

May I ask what pound weights you are using. I have not used mine yet but will be on the lake next weekend.

I'm using 12lb weights. And don't even have the booms extended

Edited by Patriot

Amish Outfitters has ball snubbers that really smooth out the jerk from the sudden stop. They have been working well for me on my cannons.

I have Scotty ball snubbers, guess I'll need to use them

I run 13lb on back riggers and 10lb on side long arms. All are high speed. Ball snubbers absorb the shock and keep weight in water better. Wouldn't want to go back to the old and slow mag 10's I had before.

• 2 weeks later...

used my new riggers this past weekend. I am using 13.5 pound torpedo weights from atomic. I have extended booms that I made slightly longer than the adjustable ones from Cannon. Little jerk at the top but not bad. Due to all these conversations I did make up a couple of two foot extension cable so that the weights are always in the water. Maybe this helped. Overall very pleased with the new riggers. Also the extended cables help in not having my father bang the torpedo weights against the side of the boat. Lol. Even when retrieving the release to set up new lines the weight is still in the water.

I agree on the jerk, took me by surprise the first trip out. I spent next couple trips checking my fiberglass thinking she's going to blow.......... Bought the Amish outfitter snubbers and it's a world of difference. Buy the long ones. It also acts like the auto stop at surface.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-152622-14327567237048_thumb.jpg

ive run these downriggers for 3 years with 12lb balls with no problems like you are mentioning.  strange.  Mine have hardly any flex in the boom either.