Fishing can be fantastic the first two weeks of September around the river mouths. Trolling glow J plugs and mag spoons usually work best but Flasher fly combos also work well. I have trolled  a lot in front of the salmon river in early September and it can be awesome fishing. However the down side is the combat trolling situation. Hundred of other boats are doing the same thing. 

If you want to try something to get your adrenaline flowing try trolling at night or in the dark early morning for staging kings off of the river mouths. Totally awesome when they hit in the dark. They are way more aggressive and the hits are brutal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It depends how deep the fish are. If there in 40' or less I usually run 3 flat line. 1 Down the chute, 2 of the boards. Flat lines are killer that time of the year. Riggers are usually down 15' stretched 100' back. I don't usually run any more than that because you usually have your hands full with that battling hot staging kings.

Well, here’s the deal. I just bought a new boat this past spring, (Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600 SC). Got it mainly for Oneida and Wallenpaupack. It’s great on those lakes but my son wants to try for salmon this fall, closer to shore of course. I asked about flat line because I am not set up with anything else yet, only with some 9 foot ugly sticks and 310 reels w/17lb. held in a Folbe rod holder.

Thats how I started too. Watch the reports for the mouth of the salmon river. Once you see guys posting that the fish are in. Head up there and fish first light or in the evening with big glow J-plugs. You will catch fish