Need suggestions for making quick-change leaders

Some of us have a limited number of flashers, flies, spoons, and other lures, and we all know how much time it can take to change lures on the go while fishing. It also wastes fishing line having to re-tie lures to flashers when our first choice of lures isn't working.

Here are my thoughts; I was thinking of a leader of fishing line 18" to 30" long with a loop tied in one end to attach to the flasher. The other end could have a DW or SPRO type snap swivel to attach to the lure. But many snap swivels don't attach easily to spoons, and snap swivels can hurt the action of a lure. Will a snap swivel be okay for a spoon if I attach a split ring to the spoon, and attach the snap swivel to the split ring? My goal is to be more organized and efficient when changing lures and flashers. I even thought about tying line to all of my spoons and leaving a loop at the other end for attaching to a flasher.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Pictures would help too, because I'm a visual kinda guy :)

Theres no reason that you cant tie up certain lengths of leaders and have them ready to go. I have numerous pretied leaders on the boat for just about every application. And i store them with one of these http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lindy-Spinner-Wrap-Kit/737752.uts?productVariantId=1200294&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=36-169258553-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=00022662&rid=20

FYI, you should be running high quality swivels to connect your baits to the business end of all of your rods especially flashers and spoons. 

I make leaders with a snap swivel on one end and just a small snap on the other, and use pieces of a pool noodle to store them.  I use electric wire staples to keep them on the noodle.  Very similar to what Legacy posted but a lot cheaper.  

I don't think the small snap affects the lures too much, still catch lots of fish.  Though I suppose it depends, I'm fishing the Fingers and can get away with smaller snaps than Ontario.

Rob is corrrct. Pretied is quick. Some with swivel snaps on both ends. Quality like he said. I like the dream weaver snaps, easy to open and close. Even if you use the big snap on the tail of flasher or spinnys, having a leader swivel hooked in tandem won't hurt. For flies I just tie a perfection loop and half hitch it to the big tail swivel. One cheap way to store the leaders of the same test is to use an empty hand wipe plastic container, with the X shaped slot in the lid. Connect the swivel snap on one end together of each leader, so they form a long chain. Coil them evenly around your hand. Then put the coiled leaders in the container, and pull the end of the first one out the X slot and snap the lid back on. The end hangs out, just grab and pull it out to the next one. Un hook it and your next leader is ready in line. Mark the different containers by test, compound, and length.

Thanks for the ideas! I have found it very difficult at times to get a snap swivel through the hole on many spoons. That's why I thought about adding a split ring to the hole on the spoon to make it easier to attach a snap swivel to the spoon. But I don't want to hurt the action of the spoon by having too much "weight" between the spoon and the leader. I primarily use the dream weaver snap swivels. I also have pool noodles laying around the garage, and I use those Lindy type rigs for my worm harnesses. I also like the idea with the empty hand wipe canister. I'll try different methods to see which works best for me.

That's why you want a quality snap on the lure end, if a spoon has a split ring that's what it needs, like most don't, that's what that spoon wants, I do the same with a noodle and even use the wire nails, start by pinning the leader with the nail and finish by pinning the end of the leader, I took a 1/2" dowl rod wooden and cut them 2"'s longer than noodle and I mounted curtain rod holders to my engine cover and hang them on there, works sweet!! I cut all my noodles at 12" and rods at 14". I thought after I could of used a smaller Eye bolt but by that time I was at my wits limit LOL

There are two different types of swivels to use. When you say you are having a hard time getting the swivel through the hole in the spoon I have to guess you are using a coastlock type swivel similar to below post-144505-14560708266449_thumb.jpg

For spoons the best swivels to use are the type below

post-144505-14560709732428_thumb.jpg

Edited by bout time

I use a variety of pre-tied leaders for various things and I use a 1 ft section of pool noodle to store them usually 8 or 10 to a section with the ends of the swivel stuck in the noodle to hold them. For "sliders" on the downriggers I make them about  6-8 ft long with cheap but solid ring swivels at each end. I use cheap black colored swivels (with wide rounded bend) because I have experimented over time and they work in that particular application and I don't feel that action suffers in the way that they are being used and I've never had any problems. For all my other connections I use good quality ball bearing solid ring swivels with duolock snaps. The reason for using solid ring only is because the split ring type can cut your line with large fish when the knot may slip into the depression in the ring.  For the flashers and dipseys  I have some with a small Spro barrel swivel at one end and a ball bearing swivel/duolock snap on the other end at various lengths and wrapped on the noodle with the length and lb test ( and an F for fluoro and an M for mono) written near them on the noodle on a piece of white tape.  I also use pre-tied leaders on my Seth Green rigs and for those I wrap them on squares of 1/2 inch styrofoam with a wire clip (spring clip) at one end and a quality ball bearing swivel on the terminal end and I wrap 5 each with a rubber band with the lures already attached and placed within one of those blue water proof cooler bags from Wegman's all ready to rock n roll.

Edited by Sk8man

There are two different types of swivels to use. When you say you are having a hard time getting the swivel through the hole in the spoon I have to guess you are using a coastlock type swivel similar to below attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1456070826.112227.jpg

For spoons the best swivels to use are the type below

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1456070972.318277.jpg

Yep, I have the coastlock swivels from Dream Weaver. If I use the really big swivels they don't have a problem, but the size 4 are a little tight. What kind are those in the bottom picture?

Yep, I have the coastlock swivels from Dream Weaver. If I use the really big swivels they don't have a problem, but the size 4 are a little tight. What kind are those in the bottom picture?

There are called DUOLOCK. Made by Dreamweaver, SPRO, Sampo etc.

Make sure you spend the extra couple of bucks on good quality swivels. I've seen guys with top of the line rods, reels, line, lures etc and they get the cheapest swivels they can find and end us losing not only the fish but all the tackle connected to not too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I couldn't agree more with above post, this is how I learned of course the hard, --$$$ money way. I put two rigs in the rod holders and headed back to camp, well while B.S.ing all the way back talking about tomorrow somehow enough slack got in the line to free the flasher "2". Well we came into the mouth of the Black River I slowed down to show respect to fishermen, when I heard a clunk what the F¥€? Was that after inspecting the problem I only had 1 flasher left and a part of Cabela's best ball bearings swivels and the other flasher I tied on with a SPRO. swivel, I said to my uncle "well there's your $2.00 less a pack Cabela's brand swivels, cost me a $15.00 flasher" don't get me wrong it would have never happened if I would have tightened the drag up on the reel more so the tip bent a little, but I just cranked them in and went. But there's the proof in the pudding!! SPRO-1 Cabela's-minus 15 LOL

I agree with using good quality swivels. All I use are the dream weavers, but that has more to do with local availability. They were the first ones I tried and I really like them, so I figured why change to another brand.

I know that flies usually have a loop tied in the end to attach to the flasher, so I didn't know if a leader needed a swivel on both ends or a swivel one end and a loop on the other. I want to avoid line twisting, losing fish, and degrading the action of the lure. I also got some great ideas on how to store the leaders. The feedback has been much appreciated.

great question, not sure to tell your the truth. They clear the front of the spoon and allow for enough room to get the swivel on with ease. I believe they give the spoon 100% true action.

Some spoons come standard with rings and others do not. You can run two identical spoons one with a ring and one without to truly see if one out produces the other. Most of the spoons now are made to be more speed tolerant than in the past. I think that the speed is the most important on your spoon program