Does anyone still do any smelting.

It pretty much depends strongly on WHERE these days Bill. They are nearly non-existant in many of the traditional spots these days.

Yep Menteth and I used to have a blast as a kid getting them at Vine Valley on the east side.  Lots in Seneca back in the old days at most of the creeks on both sides of the lake and there would be suckers and rainbows mixed in sometimes. I'm afraid those days are long gone...too bad as it was a fun ritual of Spring.

The conspiracy theory is they treated for lamprey ells when the smelt were running

Never heard that one but it's just plain false... numerous studies have shown little to no effect on other species. I couldn't find one that referenced smelt specifically but here are some quotes from one, edited for clarity:

"We exposed juveniles of two species of fish (lake sturgeon and rainbow trout ) and one adult fish species (fathead minnows) to various concentrations of TFM (0.25–7.5 mg/L) in three sets of experiments examining TFM effects on growth, avoidance of TFM treated water, and predation susceptibility.

Lake sturgeon and rainbow trout were monitored for two weeks after a 12 hour exposure to TFM... [g]rowth rates did not differ significantly among control and treated fish of either species.

Finally, fathead minnows were exposed at three different concentrations of TFM and placed in mesocosms with a non-exposed largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides predator. Two separate trials were performed, both with no significant differences due to treatments.

In summary, results indicate that for the conditions tested, TFM has no detectable sub-lethal effects on growth, avoidance behavior, or predation mortality on the fish species tested."

Edited by hermit