Somerset plant

You can thank Cuomo and Obama for that Bruce. Coal fired plants are on their hit list. Even though Somerset is very clean burning and efficient, it operates only about 20 times a year, from what I read. I know we all miss Russell Station.

All of them are heading towards closing, Dunkirk, Tonawanda, and Oswego.  Dunkirk Harbor was frozen this year for the first time in 70 years.

And that sucks too. Wasn't Dunkirk going to be converted to natural gas? I recall that from last fall. These generating plants closing leave big holes in tax revenues for the counties.

Dunkirk was to be converted to natural gas-there is a lawsuit holding it up brought to court by another supplier.  In the meantime the plant is being mothballed, and you know the longer it is off service the less likely it will ever get converted.  Huge impact to the tax base.

As much as I hate to lose a warm water discharge source like the Summerset Plant, the lake will be better for it.  The Summerset plant was dumping Mercury in lake from it's exhaust that was measured by the tonnage per year.  Not sure why they couldn't make the conversion to Natural Gas work.