Cranberry

Slimy Hooks

Yep,,,more females then males though...

Watch out for the jet stream when you grab them...wasn't too pleased about the white streaks across my clothes but they are fishing clothes after-all...

Edited by Slimy Hooks

• 2 weeks later...

Am usually very quiet, was being loud for a while lol...find it odd you happened to ask the day I returned after not fishing it for a week...

Last post made was from Easter, crushed'em, lots of smalls but plenty of good ones...Monday morning was excellent till the 30 mph winds turned cranberry into raging white caps...teusday morning was slow and the afternoon was a steady pick...Wednesday outright sucked and caught about ten in 6 hours...

Today was steady until about 2:00 and never had another bite and wasnt pleased that my timing was off today and missed more fish then hooked...got tired of dealing with the wind that kept increasing and went home about 3:30...

Guys fishing the bridge between the ponds have been doing well, so they say, with all small fish...other then that, everyone says it's slow...

Every fish caught today was spawned out...have been keeping some smaller fish lately for this guy that said he traps raccoons and o'possums in his backyard for food...ill let him have some extra fish,,,

Most likely my last trip with the change of seasons, and other fishing oppurtunities...catch'em up!!!

Edited by Slimy Hooks

Your welcome samajm!!! Funny you mentioned we are one with the fish...have believed for a very long time there is a big difference between someone that likes to go fishing, and a angler/fishermen...we are anglers...

Haven't heard much about them bullheads, bondouley and haven't tried for'em...couple times being there early, the guys that had lanterns going mentioned it was slow to non-existent...

Maybe try the south end of irondequoit, the spot the ol'timers called frog pond...if coming from the west, hop onto empire blvd and make the last left before you go down the big hill, think it's orchard park blvd...follow it all the way down until you see the bay, and the lot is right there...have done well there in the past...

Thats a good spot slimy for bullhead and channel cats . Yes us older anglers call it the frog pond lol . Also the spring peepers all over the place singing away at night. Not to mention the road kill ones  .... Good Fishing to all

Probably should've used a different term then "ol'timers", my mistake...

Havent heard anyone except people with elevated years of life experience refer to that area as frog pond...

Is a good spot, might try it this season...Wish everyone can enjoy the weekend!!!

Know what you mean by those spring peepers at night...reminds me of my neighbor telling me she could see through my window, just said then don't look and if it bothered me would do something about it...

Road kill lol...that guy that mentioned he traps critters to eat, think he fed me a raccoon/o'possum/road-kill burger...his token of appreciation for all the fish given was to grill some burgers and really no clue what he gave me...it was actually good, but after the fact it occurred to me he probably fed me one of his concoctions...last time I'll ever accept any type of food from him...

Slimy sorry  to hear you ate  road kill ...  lol......   Beware of strange people Bering Gifts Mr W ....   One time the russian guy landed a salmon ... Then  went to tops to buy bread ... Scooped up some eggs from fish and put it on bread .  Then offered it to me to eat .. I said no thankyou . I  use that for bait ....  Those Russians love carp with Italian  dressing also not me .. 

Think I'll try and stay away from road kill, lol...at least it didn't make me sick...really can't be sure about people these days...some people I've come across seem like great people, only to be told from multiple sources they are evil, no good people that put on a good front...what you see is what you get with me and guess I've learned to trust nobody...

Yesterday this Ukranian guy I've met many, many times gave me three shots of vodka, a piece of bread and a salted perch while at cranberry...hate vodka but whatever he gave me was tasty, and made the salted perch go down much easier and the bread was a good chaser...thankfully, it was a genuine offer and wasn't poisoned although should've declined...

Some Russians do enjoy salmon eggs, way to fishy tasting for me...only know this from fishing and they froze solid in my pocket...swirled'em around in my mouth to thaw them...different cultures have different foods...

Fish fries to me either come from wegmans, or where-ever perch can be caught...

Slimy thank you for PM.  I was thinking of you today as i watched the snow coming down this morn .    I think i might nominate you as the angler of the year . Keep me posted . We are one with the fish  my friend.  ................     >< ) ) ) * < 

Your quite welcome for the message...feel as though enough reports have been made, while providing plenty of information while attempting to help people catch these critters...

All I'm going to say about today is the one person spoken with, caught 4 within 3 hours...first four casts his total was equaled while being 30 feet away...more would've been caught but a passer-by wanted to chat during a hot flurry where both of my rods were out of the water waiting to be baited after back to back 10" fish...typically pay zero attention to the rods when speaking with others...

Sorry to anyone if I came across as rude and not wanting to talk...pounding headache and hurt like hell to talk, especially having to almost shout over a running engine and wind...

Surely am nothing special...if there was a top angler of the year award, I would certainly lose...time and experience goes a long way especially if accompanied by want, desire and dedication...fishing's what I do, some are mechanics, doctors, engineers etc, and they are much smarter and better off then myself...I choose to be a bum fishermen and will fall back to residential/commercial hvac, plumbing, electric and facilities maintenance if and when it's no longer feasible to revolve this existence around fishing...

Any word from the ponds lately?  I'm wondering if this recent cold snap has delayed the spawn a bit due to the water temps not reaching the ideal level (45-50).  Has anyone been there recently and had any luck?  Of the fish caught (especially females) were they still pre-spawn?  Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance to all.  

Pulled a limit from cranberry today during a 11 hour shift...3 or 4 of these fish still had eggs and a male or two was spurtin'...

Morning was slow, and there was a 2 hour period where only 2-3 fish were caught...perseverance paid off as around 1:00 the bite started getting better and better, then slowed right back down around 5:00...

Enjoy the weather, and pile'em up!!!