Cranberry

Slimy Hooks

Well, the word is out...cranberry/long pond are producing perch...

Was there this morning at cranberry and the fishing was good for me, although people were leaving by 9 due to "slow" fishing and can't understand why, as for quite a while it was impossible to keep two rods in the water...

Emeralds vastly outfished fat heads but am basing this on the guys around me who only had fatheads and lively swimming minnows made a difference...the bite switched back and forth from drop-shot rigs with emeralds, to the float and a nail-tail jig with spikes...fish were in real tight to shore this morning, and moved out as the day went on...frequent changing of spikes helps, if they become pale and lose all there guts it's time for new ones...

A bunch of guys mentioned today was "tough" and "slow" and mentioned the above things to help you guys for the days the fish are a bit picky...if they are hot and aggressive, it won't really matter what you throw at them...

Also, there's no need to inch closer and closer to someone catching fish...2 guys to my right kept inching closer and closer...then the people next to them inched closer and closer...it could be the technique being used as the reason for not catching, or simply the pod of fish hasn't made it in front of you...certainly can't go there without expecting to be crowded but a matter of a few feet won't make a difference...

Enjoy the weekend!!!

Lol,,,it couldn't be anymore crowded then it already is and the word is out to begin with...can never go there and expect not to be crowded unless the fishing is absolutely terrible, then there will still be a crowd trying to catch perch...also, caught a few crappies and a nice pike...

Show up very early this weekend if you want a parking spot at cranberry...was there at 545 with 3/4 full parking lot and guys on the bank, hanging out waiting for light...the bite started Wednesday, I waited to mention this until the crowds were basically at its peak...

Just wake up earlier to get a spot and fine tune your presentations to get bites in a crowd when they get fussy...

Edited by Slimy Hooks

Wow, sucks you guys didn't catch,,,since you failed to produce, doesn't mean my report is "false advertising"...you might say this due to my occupation this time of year, that place has more people walking through the door then any other in the area and it was happening well before this post...

plenty of people watched my clinic yesterday, and people that were there Thursday said the fishing was better...long pond always was the worse pond to me and mostly for guys not wanting to move more then 15 feet to fish...heard most guys only caught a few there Friday, like 1-3 fish...didn't say it was a slaughter, but producing fish and if it makes you happy will say I was lucky and happened to be in the right place, at the right time, doing the right things...people around me struggled, while my bucket kept filling up...

Every days not great and it's harder for the weekend guys to have everything line up just right with such limited time...hope you do better next time and feel bad you wasted your time, money and didn't catch anything...I'm a master at laying around do nothing, watching tv and eating more then my 150 pound frame looks like being capable off but made a last minute call to fish and glad it was made...

Everyone in the world is aware of these ponds and it happen every year and every forum that has a section relevant to this place has people posting reports and asking questions...nothing is a secret anymore,,,

Certainly isn't to early, they are prepping to spawn and are heading to where they will be...ever been there when they actually are spawning and seen the perch on shore and the big mucus like, egg filled sacs laying around??? They are very difficult to catch and you'll do better before they start...haven't fished there in years and remember casting to the ice edges and having our way with the fish...there around, you will not crush them every day, and like all fishing you will deal with many bad days to be there for the great ones...

It's not too early, maybe people had a slow day...heard the fishing was bad for everything, everywhere today...weather is the biggest influence in fishing...

Taking my niagaras and nail tails back as soon as I can and maybe will have a terrible day, maybe it will be good...gotta go to find out....good fishing!!!

Edited by Slimy Hooks

In no way, shape or form are these posts and comments meant to cause a argument...much different words and phrases would be utilized if a internet battle was desired...

Bassn247, didn't want to make it sound like I was saying sucks to be you, and your lazy for fishing long pond...long pond has been slow,,,since Wednesday numerous people have been telling me go to cranberry, it's on fire and a few people mentioned the exact opposite but the majority said cranberry has good fishing...

It was the accusations of false advertisement that had made a harsher tone adjustment...

Great job!!! Kicking myself for falling asleep before setting a alarm, was wanting to fish there again...these were my fish from Friday...took the pic about 10 am and was able to add more before leaving

post-139731-0-31455200-1457866089_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Slimy Hooks

Took slimy hooks opinion on cranberry being more productive than long pond. Fished long pond for an hour from sun up. 2 dinks right away. Nada for next 45 min. Moved to cranberry and put 20, 9-11'ers in a bucket by 130. A steady bite but lots of dinks. Only gona get better I hope!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There still gettin'em at the ponds...Monday morning wasn't kind to me at all, I'm sure someone did better but that south east wind start rippin' around 10 and think only one person stuck it out after departing at 10:30...went back at 3:30 with a manageable wind and it was lights out fishing with a lot of good fish that anyone would toss into a bucket...

Arrived at 2 today, struggled to keep rods in the water...I got nothing to live for so the down-pours, thunder and lightning didn't bother me...a bunch of guys stuck it out as well, while others were running to the parking lot...bite died right out around 5, and when the south wind started blowing it picked back up again...worst keeper ratio so far, tons of little ones and murdered 28 for the afternoon...

Been nice getting back to my roots, perch fishing there...fished more there in the last week then the past 10 years...

Edited by Slimy Hooks

Totally failed to produce this morning...zero in the bucket and then the wind started rippin'...a few guys had 4-5 good ones and everyone in sight at least caught some small ones...might try this afternoon, see what the wind has in mind...

Better days ahead...