2017 NYS Winter Classic Tournament - Proposed C&R Options - Feedback Request

Here is the first draft of the Catch & Release options proposed for the 2017 NYS Winter Classic statewide tournament event. Please let me know what you think, especially any potential issues we may have overlooked in its design. All suggestions are welcome as this will be a working entity for the next couple months as we solidify next year's event. We want to get as many anglers involved in the event as we can as we will have some major sponsorship opportunities once this takes off! So let me know what you think!

2017 Catch & Release Options

1. Anglers who wish to practice Catch & Release (C&R) for the Pike and Trout Divisions have the following registration options (for entire 2-month long tournament event):
a. $30 – Main tournament plus both C&R Pike and C&R Trout Divisions. 
b. $15 – Only the C&R Pike & Trout Divisions.
c. $10 – Only the C&R Pike Division.
d. $10 – Only the C&R Trout Division.
i. Those that enter the main tournament with the C&R option will not be able to enter fish into the general tournament for the Pike & Trout Divisions. 
2. Fish must be caught on the day of submission via legal angling methods as defined by the NYS DEC. The NYS Winter Classic is not responsible for any delays in picture submission.
3. Fish are to be measured using a high-contrast, easily read measuring tape with the beginning of the tape measure lined-up with the snout of the fish. Measurements will be determined to the nearest ½†rounded down. Tails may not be pinched for this measurement. Final official measurement will be determined by the tournament committee based upon the pictures submitted and will be deemed as final. 
4. All fish entries must include the following:
a. Two pictures: one of the fish with the tape measure, and one with the angler holding the fish. Both pictures need to be taken with the same side of the fish facing the camera for fish verification and taken with the same camera device. All submitted pictures must be taken with a hi-resolution digital camera or phone, must be clear/in-focus, and be imprinted with date/time information (i.e. data information must not be disabled for pictures on the camera device). Any blurry or illegible pictures will be disqualified. Only electronic pictures submitted via the methods below will be accepted:
i. Pictures are to be sent to Tim Thomas via text to (585) 330-0494 and/or via email to: [email protected]
b. Angler’s registration # (SS# or birthdate, whichever was used during registration).
c. Phone number.
5. Longest fish will place, up to 20 places pending # of anglers entered. If tied, first to be submitted will take the higher place.
6. Pictures may only be submitted once per fish. Anglers are encouraged to take multiple pictures as quickly as possible and submit the best two as defined above. All submitted pictures become the property of the tournament and may be used in any way the tournament sees fit.
7. Cash awards will be given out initially to the Top 3 anglers in the C&R Pike Division and C&R Trout Division, and will increase according the to the payout schedule listed at: www.NYSwinterclassic.com The C&R Divisions will be a separate pool of funds from the main event, based on angler participation. 
8. All anglers within the C&R Divisions are expected to respect the honor code and acknowledge that these Divisions will operate under this premise. Anglers may still be subjected to lie detector testing should a dispute arise in line with and through the same process as the main tournament. 
9. Any angler who fails a polygraph test or who alters any pictures, tape measure, or any other facet involved with determining the winners within the C&R Divisions will be disqualified from this tournament and all future tournament events.

At all of the big predator hunting competitions use lie detectors and people have failed! They hire a company to administer them. They have a trailer set up and anyone who cashes gets sweated...had me as nervous as a long tailed cat in room full of rocking chairs even though i knew i followed the rules. I decided eventually id rather just hunt....

Agreed Justin, that is why we do not give mandatory lie detector tests, but rather if someone wants to accuse another of cheating, they can put down a deposit for us to issue one, then if the angler fails it the accuser receives the deposit back, otherwise they have paid to verify the anglers truthfulness. In 4 years of running events, we have yet to issue a test, but the option is there should it be needed. As this event becomes substantial, payouts will soar into the $1,000's and even $10,000's with additional substantial prizes like vehicles, boats, etc. (similar to the Great Ontario Salmon Derby run in Canada). With great prizes comes great temptation, so polygraphs have to be available to be enforced if necessary. Nature of the beast...

you are requiring competators to do admin jobs keep everybody honest and do the test sounds like you want to maxize your profits it not the duty of contestants to monitor the contest its yours

would love to see the pike division become C&R only of all the catagories big pike are the hardest to replace 

Problem is so many anglers already keep the pike they catch, requiring C&R will only minimize participation. 

you are requiring competators to do admin jobs keep everybody honest and do the test sounds like you want to maxize your profits it not the duty of contestants to monitor the contest its yours

We are requiring the contestants to help monitor, but we will set-up and enforce any polygraph. We are also holding anglers accountable for their actions - if I don't like Joe Shmoe I could suggest to the tournament director that I think he cheated and should be issued a lie detector to smite him. However, if I have to put a deposit down I am much less likely to do that unless I really think he cheated, and I get my deposit back if he fails. Likewise, we can't be everywhere watching everyone fish and hang out at all the bars hearing everyone's stories. If I am fishing a stream and see someone snag a fish, keep it, and then see their name appear on the leaderboard, or overhear someone say that their friend actually caught the fish that placed, I would challenge their integrity and put the deposit down. That is something we would never know here at headquarters unless brought to our attention by other anglers. However, if there is no accountability, anybody to accuse anyone else and we'd be forced to issue polygraphs to everyone at $500 a pop. Bottom line, if you are willing to put someone's reputation on the line by accusing them of cheating, you need to put your money where your mouth is knowing it will be returned if the accused is found guilty. This weeds out the naysayers and has worked beautifully for the past 4 years! 

Edited by Finders Keepers

Aside from scaring off more anglers than that would appease, I don't think you realize how hard to coordinate that would be for a statewide tourney, not to mention $3500+ just to give the 1st place winners a test. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one!

I'm more interested in feedback on the format and logistics of the current C&R plan. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am assuming based on feedback here and elsewhere that the format looks good. I've been throwing around pricing for the options to keep it competitive and with a good payout. So I am thinking of using a registration structure similar to the main event. Again, the C&R categories will have their own pool of winnings:

Main Event w/ C&R Option (both Pike & Trout) - $40

Main Event w/ C&R Option & Lunker Pool (main event only) - $50

C&R Both Pike & Trout Only - $25

C&R Pike Only (entire event) - $15

C&R Trout Only (entire event) - $15

C&R Pike Only (1-Day) - $10

C&R Trout Only (1-Day) - $10

Thoughts?