reels for downrigger rods

bretter

I use daiwa accudepth plus 47lc for wire and down riggers they seem real good for the money 50-60$ depending if you find them on sale. I also have some Okuma magda pros they are ok but not as nice as the daiwas.

I also run 30lb trilene big game and 30 lb cortland flea flicker. I usually just change leaders or add some lighter line for spring fishing. I am pretty new at this so check some old posts there is a lot of info on this site from much better fisherman than me.

I use primarily Okuma reels, Magda 30DX for riggers/divers and Convectors for (CV20) planer rods, (CV45) leadcore. I have had good luck with all except the CV20's, drag system sucks. They are a few years old and Okuma has allegedly fixed the problem, i just haven't replaced them yet.

Magda's are IMHO a great value for the $$$. The newer Convectors are very good also just a little pricier.

20# mono will pick up fleas, jump up to 30# and you should be relatively flea free.

DAN

I have Diawa Sealine SG47 and SG27 lc's. I have had most of them for 14 years and have been awesome. I had one drag clicker go after 13 years and Diawa sent me the part for free. I had some of the original Accudepths and got rid of them (I did not like the drag). I do not know about the newer ones. Shimano Tekotas are super reels but expensive. I have a buddy that runs Okumas and has had some problems with the ie. drags skipping, handles bending, and plastic screens falling off line counters. My vote would be for the Diawa SG47lc's. Super reels with a history of quality.

As for changing reels, I have my Diawa Sealine 27lc's on Diawa Heartland 7 1/2' rods with 15 lb. Maxima line for spring boards and riggers for browns and steelhead. For flea season and kings, I go with my Diawa Sealine 47 lc's with 30 lb. Ande pink with 20 lb. Seagar leaders. For flasher/fly combos, I don't use a leader off the 30 lb.

For rigger reels, IMO you can't beat the Shimano Triton TR200G. Butter smooth drags and 4.3:1 retrieve.

I also have had great luck with the Penn 209's, the retrived ratio on those is a bit slow (3.1:1), but the drags are awesome as well.

For years I have set my reels up as follows: fill bulk of spool with 17 lb Trilene XT, then double uni knot 100 feet of 30 lb big game, then a #8 spro power swivel (50 lb test). In the spring when trolling the shoreline with the boards for browns, I put a light (10 lb) fluoro leader on and then just a small duolock snap to the lure. Once summer/flea season hits, I just replace the leader with heavier fluoro (20 lb).

In the spring when you're running sticks in shallow water off the boards, the resistence of the heavy, large diameter 30 lb keeps the sticks from diving too deep and hanging on bottom, yet the light fluoro leader still provides a measure of stealth to the presentation. Once flea season arrives , the heavy 30 lb big game is between the rod tip and the release and keeps the fleas from collecting.

Tim

A great reel for the riggers is a Shimano Charter special, the lever drag is fool proof and very fun to fight fish with.

For line counters the Tekota is a great looking reel, drag range is too narrow IMO. The best line counters that I have owned are the Diawa 47 SGLCA the farther east they are made the better ie the japan was better than the korea and korea was better than the china ones. This is a good reel to buy used if you can find one very durable. Ok to use this on the riggers or planerboards as well.

Good luck,

CC