Preferred Fish Temps?

I've looked at 4 different sources and got 4 different sets of numbers, as shown in the pics below;

post-142578-0-24598800-1462151054_thumb.jpgpost-142578-0-97281900-1462151074_thumb.jpg Both of these are from the hard cover books called the Freshwater Angler Series or something like that.

post-142578-0-14079500-1462151164_thumb.jpg This one is from the Fish Hawk XD/X4D manual

post-142578-0-52549500-1462151206_thumb.jpg This one is from the Moor Sub-Troll manual

post-142578-0-59705700-1462151255_thumb.jpg This one is from the NY DEC web site

What source do you trust for the most accurate preferred fish temperatures? Some of these are close, but some are pretty far off.

I started with guidance from other local fishermen and then my own experience. I repeat what works.

Lower baits are at 42F and higher baits are generally at 48F. It works pretty consintently for us. We target kings and that's what we normally get. Bows always come higher at the 48F to 54F range.

Edited by TyeeTanic

The real question is what temp do alewives prefer. The answer is I have no idea, but I do see them throughout the water column and the fish are usually with them. So I say fish the fish, not the temp. Truth is, most have caught kings at 42 and 70 in the same day. If you don't see any fish, 42 to 58 works for me as a starting point.

I try to locate bait in the water column where ever I fish. I have fished smaller deep inland lakes the last 2 weekends and I was marking individual fish but not much bait fish. The surface temps are still around 49-50 degrees, and 42 degrees just 25ft down. I haven't made it out on the big lake yet this year, but maybe in a couple weeks. Home remodeling is the priority until the major work is done.

I was surprised by the differences in fish temp data that I came across. The northeastern shore hasn't been real productive yet this year according to the fishing reports I'm seeing, and I'm not catching fish on the smaller lakes either.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

The water temps on charts should be considered as "suggestive" but the DEC chart looks close to me for a general idea.  During the summer the kings may be found way out of the normal temp range but as mentioned  the bait location is often the key to locating the active fish.

Edited by Sk8man

This time of year the fish are near the surface and flee from your boat as you move along. You will not see many fish below your boat. Side planers are necessary now, not long lines.