braid or mono backing for wire

Just ordered some wire based on everyones advice to combat the fleas.  Should I pull all of my braid off and use a mono backer instead of the braid?  If so, what pound test do you recommend?  Also what knot are you guys using? Albright, nail knot?  I currently have 65lb power pro on these magda 45's.  Anyone have any idea how much backer these reels will take with 1000' of 7 strand?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jimalbert

Jim I'd take the braid off. You'll need space for the wire. Iuse just about 50 ft of 30 lb mono and then attach the wire. Tuna Tom's suggested the mono on there to help take pressure off the spool of the reel rather than just the wire. Some guys just put the wire straight on too. .but I figured with all the reels they repair Tuna may know something I'd didn't. You'll need the space on the Magda anyway.

Just ordered some wire based on everyones advice to combat the fleas.  Should I pull all of my braid off and use a mono backer instead of the braid?  If so, what pound test do you recommend?  Also what knot are you guys using? Albright, nail knot?  I currently have 65lb power pro on these magda 45's.  Anyone have any idea how much backer these reels will take with 1000' of 7 strand?

Thanks,

Jim

The word "backing" is misleading. We dont put "backing" on diver reels for backing. We put it on there to eat up additional reel space to make sure the spool is full and our counters are reading accurately. An okuma 30 size reel requires about 300' of 30# mono plus 1000' of wire to achieve a full spool. A 45 size reel will obviously require much more than that. You may have to reverse spool the first one in order to figure it out. An albright knot will work fine for your connection.

Hey Jim,

I looked back at my notes that I keep on each reel (line type, amt, date put on etc.) and I put 150 ft of 50 lb test Big Game on that reel underneath. I apparently didn't carefully read what I had written above either because I was thinking about the 30 lb wire when I wrote 30 lb mono as well so disregard that. Rob's info is probably closer to the mark. It is purely "filler"  too. You aren't going to get spooled with that 1,000ft although sometimes whenthey start running you might think so. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

i took a okuma 30 reel and put 40 lb big game mono on it around 50 ft or so and then filled the reel with AFW 30 lb wire . so do you guys think that is ok ? the line counter should work right , i think ?? i have a 5000ft spool of wire that is why i did it that way .

i took a okuma 30 reel and put 40 lb big game mono on it around 50 ft or so and then filled the reel with AFW 30 lb wire . so do you guys think that is ok ? the line counter should work right , i think ?? i have a 5000ft spool of wire that is why i did it that way .

Thats fine... just fill it until its full

I tie the wire right to the reel. a couple wraps of duct tape to hold the creeping and reel wire on till full. No backing really required if you have the 5000 foot spool. I always feel less knots are better.

Edited by Richard