New Boat Issues need suggestions

Sea-IV

No reverse chine on that boat? Full V? That's really odd... that's where a lot of cruise stability, trolling and still stability comes from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Its a smooth as a babies but under there and run from bow to stern. I believe that's why it rolls so easily but ordered Lemco 9x9 tabs for it and got a buddy to hook me up with the stainless prop. Hopefully I get it all together this weekend and can take her for a spin. Weird thing is when I had my Tracker I never had any issues what so ever but proves every boat is different. How did things work out with the motor on the Trophy?

Tracker has nice big reverse chines like Lund does on their boats... I have never experienced a running instability issue with mine despite off-level loads or ppl moving around.  All sounds annoying sorry you're dealing with it all.  Sounds like a hull design problem.  Which is crazy this day and age with all the computer modeling and fluid dynamic capability.  No reason a hull shouldn't be designed well.

post-151421-0-25501500-1473787408_thumb.jpg

Trophy was a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor. $60 for a new sensor... didn't bother with warranty - needed it fast and it was cheap and easy enough. put it in and all good.  The sensor went bad it ohmed out way out of tolerance.  Internal failure.

Tearing out the cuddy now and replacing all new bilges forward and aft and the good reinforced rubber hoses, new diaghram pump plumbed into both fish boxes and pumped overboard (no more fishboxes into the hull)... removed the head, all plumbing, sink and counter, gray water tank, black water tank, macerator and all plumbing/electrical, and all hoses to the thru hull fittings in the cabin.  There's so much room down there now and probably got rid of 200lbs of junk in the way. Also replaced all 4 Scupper drain hoses and clamps.  New Navigation Light on Bow.  3 new Batteries.  And removed all thru hull transducers forward and aft (leaked) and am in the process of glassing them all in.  She'll be in great shape next season.

Tracker has nice big reverse chines like Lund does on their boats... I have never experienced a running instability issue with mine despite off-level loads or ppl moving around.  All sounds annoying sorry you're dealing with it all.  Sounds like a hull design problem.  Which is crazy this day and age with all the computer modeling and fluid dynamic capability.  No reason a hull shouldn't be designed well.

attachicon.gifTarga-V-20-WT_img160756_900.jpg

Trophy was a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor. $60 for a new sensor... didn't bother with warranty - needed it fast and it was cheap and easy enough. put it in and all good.  The sensor went bad it ohmed out way out of tolerance.  Internal failure.

Tearing out the cuddy now and replacing all new bilges forward and aft and the good reinforced rubber hoses, new diaghram pump plumbed into both fish boxes and pumped overboard (no more fishboxes into the hull)... removed the head, all plumbing, sink and counter, gray water tank, black water tank, macerator and all plumbing/electrical, and all hoses to the thru hull fittings in the cabin.  There's so much room down there now and probably got rid of 200lbs of junk in the way. Also replaced all 4 Scupper drain hoses and clamps.  New Navigation Light on Bow.  3 new Batteries.  And removed all thru hull transducers forward and aft (leaked) and am in the process of glassing them all in.  She'll be in great shape next season.

There is the difference right there. Literally it's a full V from side walls to keel. The tabs will solve the rolling for sure but shocked they didn't put in any strakes or chimes on the bottom off hull but who am I and I haven't looked at the bottom completely til now, outside of the torque from prop causing boat to pitch it's really stable.

Yah I reall wanted to do what you did in the cabin to make like a rod rack where sink and potty was and add tackle storage there as well. My buddy just bought a trophy but I/O with the low motor cover in back. We rigging it to the max cause he is all out.

No reverse chine on that boat? Full V? That's really odd... that's where a lot of cruise stability, trolling and still stability comes from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There's a full length reverse chine.  Perhaps however at the length and weight of that particular boat its not effective enough on plane. Hard for me to say.  I have the next size down and don't have the same problems.

Deadrise isn't published (that I've found) so I'm not sure if the series of boats is actually a full V

Edited by Fat Trout

I placed the nauticus pro troll smart tabs on my 2012 starweld pro 18. This helped with the porpoise issue gave us a better hole shot and added about 3mph to the top end. These trim tabs also have a trolling mode where you can put them full down working like a trolling back was able to use that to slow the boat down to 1.5 mph. I've never had any steering issues. Towne marine was where we purchased it and haven't had any unresolved issues. we did subsequently purchase a kicker motor which had some challenge doing the install due to the trim tabs. I was able to finally get a kicker mount that worked out the issues. This needed a change in the control cables and Towne Marine shipped out replacements with no problem. Hope you get the issues sorted out if you would like pics of the trim tab setup let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Take the trolling motor off see if boat runs true you might be interested with result

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Haven't had it on the problem still persists so my tabs should be here today, gonna have to move my transducers around a bit but I believe I shouldn't have to throw more money into a brand new boat for a handling issue. If a hull issue then Smoker craft should take a look at the design because I am getting more responses on other threads with people having the same issues

What year is your boat, mine is a 82, from half way back my Sea Ray is smooth as a baby's but, and mine did the same thing, I moved that small rudder under the lower unit one way or the other about a 1/4 " the only way the boat would go flat in the water is if someone would stand behind me while I was driving, the tabs did the trick. In the beginimg while coming into a no wake zone this boat was all over the place, I was told its because the ribs in the front weren't in the water enough, because of the heavy motor, when the boat sits in the water it favors the rear. I was instructed to put 400 lbs in the front and that would solve that, and it did, but loading the boat on the trailer was interesting as you could feel every wheel under the boat. The second or third time I split that wide 9" roller in half, so I took the 400lbs out of the front, so ya the best thing I did was put the tabs on, I could push the front into the water at slow speeds so I could steer the boat without looking like a drunken sailor, you won't be sorry about your tabs, I also put a 4 bladed prop on that was impressive to say the least, now she jumps out of the water and runs along 35mph at 3800 rpm's.

Yah they actually just arrived and I am staring at back of boat trying to visualize where they will be mounted and then where to put my transducers. The design of this boat I don't think was thought thru very well. The inside is perfect for whatever style fishing you may want to do but there is about a 4" chine on each side and no ribs what so ever. So the control factor wasn't thought thru. I am sure I will be set once these are installed but damn I would rather drop $1000 on fishing gear than this but safety and performance first.

• 1 month later...

This Fin will help your handling issues. It will level the boat while on plane. (trimmed up) this is my 09 fishmaster 196 with 150 etech and four batteries in the back. KEEP YOUR BATTERIES OUT OF THE FRONT in FISHMASTERS!!! structure frame will break and it loosens rivets like crazy!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well just to keep everyone up to date on these issues. Starcraft has realized that there was an issue with the bigger hulls listing or rolling to one side and have issued a warranty claim for this problem. My dealer has calls me and is sending me the stationary trim tabs which are fully covered under warranty. They claim that this will resolve the issue versus taking the hull in and actually dimpling the hull. Anyone else with a newer model having these issues call your dealer and see what they offer you because with me it was a safety concern as it should be with any boat owner

Glad to hear all worked out for ya!! Been a long drawn out pain in the ass for you. But at least the dealer made good on their end!! Maybe back to the drawing board??

You need higher pitched prop and there is a small tab above prop that can be turned to adjust some steering torque you will need to adjust and test and readjust until you get desired results .Also in the end you may need to install adjustable trim tabs to fully resolve issue as i did on a deep v boat that had the same issue .GOOD LUCK DEALERS SUCK !

26 minutes ago, hard knox said:

You need higher pitched prop and there is a small tab above prop that can be turned to adjust some steering torque you will need to adjust and test and readjust until you get desired results .Also in the end you may need to install adjustable trim tabs to fully resolve issue as i did on a deep v boat that had the same issue .GOOD LUCK DEALERS SUCK !

I have been thru prop pitches and gone between stainless and aluminum props as well. It's not a pitch issue as it's the Chine on the boat isn't enough. Basically a bad hull design. The tab on motor abuse be prop has no influence and to the listing of the boat. As a solution the manufacturer has recognized the issue and as a result are installing Trim tabs on the boats that come in with the issues. The best for me is that my dealer was kind enough to ship me the trim tabs fully warrantied and I can install them myself. I don't mock the dealer that much anymore but t when the problem showed itself they acted like I was crazy. Also glad to know I wasn't the only one this happened to cause to spend $1000 on tabs for a Brand New boat is ridiculous in my eyes unless it's just something you want to add for yourself. 

14 hours ago, Kwall said:

I have the same boat , installed Lenco limited space trim tabs , no more list to one side , rides great 

That's great to hear, I knew it's what had to be done but I wasn't coming out of pocket for it being I had just purchased the boat in April 2016. I am glad the manufacturer came around and is acknowledging the issues and there are no disputes as for it being warrantied