New Boat Issues need suggestions

Sea-IV

In looking at this I can't help but wonder if maybe the hull of the boat itself might have a manufacturing defect such as misaligned strakes and chines combining with the wrong prop?

No strakes or Ribs on bottom it's a smooth bottom boat

Sea IV, have you tried to adjust the trim tab on the outboard?

Interesting Point.  I remember that having a big influence on a little boat with 25hp that I had  ha ha.

I have the same Yam motor on a similar model as Sea IV  My tab isn't centered.  Its one notch from center toward the driver side.  That puts the tail of the tab toward the driver side and front of the tab toward the passenger side.   He's still under propped but this could be making things worse.  

Edited by Fat Trout

Sea IV, have you tried to adjust the trim tab on the outboard?[/quote

I wish I could but even just the slightest trim up on a flat day the rpms come up to much and also cause the boat to roll more as the rpms pick up. Then at WOT I am just way to high on rpms so I bring it down to 4000 and just don't go any higher even though I could but that about the safest point and the boat is still leaning over at that range

I think Fat Trout is talking about the little fin on the lower unit that can be adjusted to compensate for steering torque. On a boat without anti-feedback steering, if it is adjusted wrong, the motor torque will push the steering hard in one direction and if it is adjusted correctly, you don't have to constantly fight the wheel to keep the boat running straight. If your boat has anti feedback steering and the fin is adjusted wrong, it will take considerably more muscle to steer in one direction than the other.

But that wouldn't cause your RPM to go too high. If the anti-cavitation plate is at the right level when the motor is lowered, as discussed above, then most likely you need to go to a higher pitch prop. You should find out what prop is on it and what is recommended by the mfg. If that is a standard motor they ship with the boat, the manufacturer should be able to tell you what prop should be on it. Once you know that, you need to find out the specs of the prop that is actually installed.

Possible scenario. These thing do happen.

Maybe someone came to the dealer before you picked up your boat and wanted to buy a prop because he just destroyed his on a rock and needed to replace it in a hurry. The only one they had was on your boat. So they thought they could sell it and get another one in before you take delivery. Then when they didn't have it, someone said, "throw this one on it".

Edited by muskiedreams

I think Fat Trout is talking about the little fin on the lower unit that can be adjusted to compensate for steering torque. On a boat without anti-feedback steering, if it is adjusted wrong, the motor torque will push the steering hard in one direction and if it is adjusted correctly, you don't have to constantly fight the wheel to keep the boat running straight. If your boat has anti feedback steering and the fin is adjusted wrong, it will take considerably more muscle to steer in one direction than the other.

But that wouldn't cause your RPM to go too high. If the anti-cavitation plate is at the right level when the motor is lowered, as discussed above, then most likely you need to go to a higher pitch prop. You should find out what prop is on it and what is recommended by the mfg. If that is a standard motor they ship with the boat, the manufacturer should be able to tell you what prop should be on it. Once you know that, you need to find out the specs of the prop that is actually installed.

Possible scenario. These thing do happen.

Maybe someone came to the dealer before you picked up your boat and wanted to buy a prop because he just destroyed his on a rock and needed to replace it in a hurry. The only one they had was on your boat. So they thought they could sell it and get another one in before you take delivery. Then when they didn't have it, someone said, "throw this one on it".

Yes I understand the fin and it's set straight and I have hydraulic steering and there is not tension one way or the other as for the steering. The prop that is on the boat is the one set by the factory. The dealer will correct the problem but I am more upset that it wasn't water tested before I drove 4 hours and $30,000+ to have a serious safety issue.

Interesting Point.  I remember that having a big influence on a little boat with 25hp that I had  ha ha.

I have the same Yam motor on a similar model as Sea IV  My tab isn't centered.  Its one notch from center toward the driver side.  That puts the tail of the tab toward the driver side and front of the tab toward the passenger side.   He's still under propped but this could be making things worse.

I had the same deal with my boat, and it was that little magnesium rudder under the lower unit. Mine was strait and like posted above I had to turn mine one way or another but like mine was like a 1/4" one way or another, that was the ticket, and I added trim tabs later.

Yes I understand the fin and it's set straight and I have hydraulic steering and there is not tension one way or the other as for the steering. The prop that is on the boat is the one set by the factory. The dealer will correct the problem but I am more upset that it wasn't water tested before I drove 4 hours and $30,000+ to have a serious safety issue.

I dealt with the parts guy total waste of my time issue after issue. Do not play around with them get to the top man/owner and get more than just the right prop out of them........ good luck.

Why did you not sea trial the boat before receiving it?

4.5 hour drive one way from my home and not a body of water nearby outside of the Susquehanna River nearby. I shouldn't have to being it was brand new. They should know what they are doing for the amount of boats they sell. Now I went to a semi local dealer to me here before I purchased this one so I wasn't blind going into this either and not to many bad reviews on this model either.

Edited by Sea-IV

That is the same prop that is on my motor. Just checked it last night cause I am gonna call another Marina in Ohio and see what they suggest before I make a 4 hour road trip to hear them say I am crazy and I lose my crap on them

That is the same prop that is on my motor. Just checked it last night cause I am gonna call another Marina in Ohio and see what they suggest before I make a 4 hour road trip to hear them say I am crazy and I lose my crap on them

For what its worth....when you look that prop up. it is listed for a range of Yamaha engines up through 115.   My boat weighs 350# less than yours has 10 gallons less fuel capacity and is 7" narrower so less drag for me.  

I may be on the edge and you are on the other side of a prop that is on the top end of its range of use.   As I think of it.  When I trim up I notice a pitch change so I don't trim up a lot.  I'm slipping a little I think.  

This was interesting btw

https://www.boats.com/reviews/outboard-expert-finding-the-right-propeller/

Well I just got off phone with Vic's Sports center who is another Starweld dealer in Ohio and let me tell you if I have any issues I am taking that drive. All I did was explain the issues and they had it figured out in 10 minutes without seeing it for themselves. Trim tabs will be going on and the prop is correct for this boat. The rpm range for this motor is generally 6100-6200 and has a rev limiter to warn you. The issue with the listing to port side is because the full V of the hull and was told that it has to be trimmed up a bit which will take some of the roll out but trim tabs explicitly they said. I was shocked but I will follow there advise instead of the 4 hour drive and I am also gonna put a stainless prop on in the same size and pitch which they said is correct but my preference cause I hate giving up power for the flexing of aluminum. I will post results after the weekend when I have installed the tabs and let everyone know. Thanks for all the advise guys and has helped me look at certain things that I might have overlooked. Oh in one more note they did mention that the motor could be mounted to high but to try the tabs fist before dropping motor down to last hole. Thanks again and I will follow up for sure.

Edited by Sea-IV

Sea- will you mention the dealer? Save us some trouble

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The dealer I bought from is Towne Marine in Bloomsburg PA

The dealer that will get my business from now on is Vics Sports Center in Ohio