New Boat Issues need suggestions

Sea-IV

Ok I purchased a new boat in April, a Starweld 20 Pro w/115 Yamaha 4 stroke. I love the boat and my issue is that when coming up on plane and when on plane the boat leans over to one side. I have my suspicions as to the cause but values honest opinions from people on here. I have had my passengers sit behind me to counter balance it but when I had family out over holiday weekend it became unsafe with all the boat traffic out. I hit a boat wake and was thrown from the drivers seat to floor. I called the dealer and they claim it's the prop because I can't trim up or go wide open cause it's over rpm's. My suspicion is the motor is to higher lower unit is to short. Should be a 25" and they have a 20" on boat. Is this my issue or could it be something else. Boat is going back next week but need ammo cause we as boat owners never know what we are talking about when we go back to the dealer even though I have owned several boats big and small for over 20 years. Help cause this is going into my perch season.

post-155451-0-59989400-1473545503_thumb.jpeg

I hate to hear these stories. What's the point of buying NEW from a DEALER if everything isn't perfect and safe? 

You shouldn't have to ask this board, or speculate as to why its not right. The boat was delivered to you as an unsafe vessel. I wouldn't tippy toe around, unleash everything you can against the dealer and the manufacturer. Unfortunately you will probably have to threaten legal action, and remind them they are liable for the boat being delivered as an unsafe vessel.

Good luck and I hope it doesn't rob you of your fall fishing.

Thanks Vince and I hear what your saying. They got a piece of my mind already cause I have dealt with it since day one, they asked why I mention it now and I said well I didn't want to lose any more fishing time cause I totally missed the spring fishing and then on top of that its a 4 hour drive back to the dealership which I shouldn't have to do. Frustrating to say the least but already contacted manufacturer and they advised me to start with the dealer so they are on notice as well.

Ok I purchased a new boat in April, a Starweld 20 Pro w/115 Yamaha 4 stroke. I love the boat and my issue is that when coming up on plane and when on plane the boat leans over to one side. I have my suspicions as to the cause but values honest opinions from people on here. I have had my passengers sit behind me to counter balance it but when I had family out over holiday weekend it became unsafe with all the boat traffic out. I hit a boat wake and was thrown from the drivers seat to floor. I called the dealer and they claim it's the prop because I can't trim up or go wide open cause it's over rpm's. My suspicion is the motor is to higher lower unit is to short. Should be a 25" and they have a 20" on boat. Is this my issue or could it be something else. Boat is going back next week but need ammo cause we as boat owners never know what we are talking about when we go back to the dealer even though I have owned several boats big and small for over 20 years. Help cause this is going into my perch season.

I have a 2015 18 Pro with a 115 Yamaha.  You say your shaft is 20"?   Are you measuring from the inside top of the bracket to the cavitation plate?   Mine measures 25".  My Cav plate is just about even with the tip of the keel....just a little higher perhaps.    

I can run wide open....granted I don't do it a lot.  I can trim up too without issue....other than trimming up has its time and place and trimming up in the wrong chop gives a little more porpoising than I like.    I have a stock Yamaha prop.

I notice a very slight lean with me and another person in the passenger seat but I attribute that to prop rotation torque and its only slight and no bother at all.  I don't notice any lean if its just me solo.

There was a guy on here who had a 2014 or perhaps 2013 who said his had issues with porpoising more than he liked so he put nauticus trim tabs on.  He liked them and said it also slowed his troll too as a bonus.   I didn't want to put tabs on and so far in 2 seasons of use I see no need.  However I mention it as a thought for you.  

I have to say....if you can't go WOT on a 20 footer your motor is set too high or shaft is too short.  I'd have to think you are cavitating if you are going over on RPM's.....but geeze I didn't think they even made a 20" in 115HP.

I can take pics and some additional measurements if it helps...just let me know what you need.  

Edited by Fat Trout

Really cant tell from the angle of the picture. The ventilation plate { horizontal plate above prop ] should be flush with the bottom of boat. How a dealer could put a 20" motor on a 25" transom is beyond me. Along with sending you out the door without sea trialing the boat to make sure everything is in order, INCLUDING having the right pitch prop. Prop should be matched to MFG max rpm rating. Let us know the Marinas name if they drag this out any longer than it already is. They should of UPS you the correct prop if they say that's the issue, it was there fault right off the get go.

My mistake it is a 25" shaft. So pissed I measur d wrong. I have zero cavitation when I am out whether it be calm or choppy. I can say I believe it's torque rotation issue but still have never dealt with this issue with any boats and I previously had a Tracker 18 with a 150 on it and no issues. As for trim tabs well I considered it but really would only need 1. Then the dealer says it's a weight issue also, hmm I doubt it being I added equal weight to each side except for a battery on my side which still doesn't help counter the tilt issue. Now the only time I could run was with a 200# person behind me kept boat level.

My mistake it is a 25" shaft. So pissed I measur d wrong. I have zero cavitation when I am out whether it be calm or choppy. I can say I believe it's torque rotation issue but still have never dealt with this issue with any boats and I previously had a Tracker 18 with a 150 on it and no issues. As for trim tabs well I considered it but really would only need 1. Then the dealer says it's a weight issue also, hmm I doubt it being I added equal weight to each side except for a battery on my side which still doesn't help counter the tilt issue. Now the only time I could run was with a 200# person behind me kept boat level.

still seems weird.  You mention the battery.  That only justifies my lean more now that I think of it.   In that case my battery is a size 29 and on the passenger side with no batt on the driver side.   My buddy also outweighs me by 50 lbs.  zero lean when I operate by myself.   Also zero lean with me and my wife....who thankfully weighs less than my buddy lol.    Just seems odd to me that your boat is that bad with the leand and mine isn't.    Same design, same hull angles I assume..... I'm a little shorter......I would think if anything you would be more stable. 

Edited by Fat Trout

Believe me I know all to well it's weird. I have a extra battery on drivers side, anchor on drivers side, all my flashers, spoons rigger weights everything I can get on drivers side to help counter it. I mean don't get me wrong at its worst it's about a foot difference between each side off level. I know the pitch is wrong on prop cause of rpms which they will correct

Believe me I know all to well it's weird. I have a extra battery on drivers side, anchor on drivers side, all my flashers, spoons rigger weights everything I can get on drivers side to help counter it. I mean don't get me wrong at its worst it's about a foot difference between each side off level. I know the pitch is wrong on prop cause of rpms which they will correct

A foot!  and with Batt and all that stuff.  wow.   with batt (on passenger side) and my buddy their too, I was ****ing about a couple of inches of steady out of level.....lol.    

A foot!  and with Batt and all that stuff.  wow.   with batt (on passenger side) and my buddy their too, I was ****ing about a couple of inches of steady out of level.....lol.

Tell me about it. I tried recording several times but had to hold wheel with both hands. My wife was holding on for life over the weekend cause she thought she was gonna take a swim. Also just before someone spits it out, I don't run around driving like a D**k either. Usually I am with buddies on Ontario trolling or at Seneca with family fishing for panfish. The occasional cruise can't happen cause of this. I can say it's the last New boat I will ever buy.

Tell me about it. I tried recording several times but had to hold wheel with both hands. My wife was holding on for life over the weekend cause she thought she was gonna take a swim. Also just before someone spits it out, I don't run around driving like a D**k either. Usually I am with buddies on Ontario trolling or at Seneca with family fishing for panfish. The occasional cruise can't happen cause of this. I can say it's the last New boat I will ever buy.

Ha.....I get it.  I've seen you post before.  You know enough lol.      As for the new boat thing.   All I can say is that there is a devil wherever you go....new or used.  I've seen issues with both....myself and with others.   Where I agree with you the most is in the high end super expensive fiberglass class.  Shocked...shocked at issues I have seen new buyers deal with for $100-150K boats.    

I'm hoping for you its just a prop thing and in your past before you know it!

Edited by Fat Trout

Hi, you never mentioned how the boat sat in the water without moving.The fact that you are well above the RPM range of the motor is a perfect indication that you are under propped, the boat and motor tells you at wot which direction you have to go; bigger diameter (if possible) and or higher pitch. The cavitation plate should be level or a little above the keel, The fact that you are not cavitating while underway and turning tells you the motor is not set too high on the transom. However, setting a motor too low with the cavitation plate well below the keel could cause some issues in handling at different rpms.  I find it hard to believe the torque of the motor or prop could cause this.  Personally 1) I would check the bottom for any warpage or damage. 2) see how the boat sits at the dock with you and your gear as you have it. 3) definitely replace the prop to turn at wot within the manufacturers recommended range. I hope this helps and good luck.Dino   P.S. when this is corrected please let us know the cause.

Hi, you never mentioned how the boat sat in the water without moving.The fact that you are well above the RPM range of the motor is a perfect indication that you are under propped, the boat and motor tells you at wot which direction you have to go; bigger diameter (if possible) and or higher pitch. The cavitation plate should be level or a little above the keel, The fact that you are not cavitating while underway and turning tells you the motor is not set too high on the transom. However, setting a motor too low with the cavitation plate well below the keel could cause some issues in handling at different rpms.  I find it hard to believe the torque of the motor or prop could cause this.  Personally 1) I would check the bottom for any warpage or damage. 2) see how the boat sits at the dock with you and your gear as you have it. 3) definitely replace the prop to turn at wot within the manufacturers recommended range. I hope this helps and good luck.Dino   P.S. when this is corrected please let us know the cause.

The boats sit totally level by itself when at dock with nobody in it. I have gone thru everything in my head that I know of it because I have never experienced this problem I am baffled. I have setup and run bass boats, driven 40' speed boats and can users as well as my twin outboard 26' Trophy. Just amazed that I can't figure out and the local Starweld dealer doesn't want to deal with it which I don't blame him cause he didn't set the boat up. Dealers have to be more conscious of these things and should water test boats before they release them to the customer. I hope for this dealers sake he gets it right cause they don't want to mess with my wife.

I have a 14 Starweld 1800 with a 115 Etec. I had similar issues with listing and not getting as much speed as I felt I should be getting for the first 2 years I owned the boat. I had to find another because the dealer no longer worked on Etecs. When I took my boat to another dealer, they told me I was under propped. After putting on a different prop, it was a totally different boat. I realize we are talking about different brands of outboards, but I would not assume the dealer put the correct prop on.

In looking at this I can't help but wonder if maybe the hull of the boat itself might have a manufacturing defect such as misaligned strakes and chines combining with the wrong prop?

Sea 4;

Trim tabs are used together, not just one on a boat, I typically level the boat with the one on the lower side of the boat to level it out, then go one or two more down & then drop the other one down one or two to keep the bow of the boat from moving up & down. This also gives a much more stable ride. I have a 22' Hewescraft.

Good Luck

John

Sea 4;Trim tabs are used together, not just one on a boat, I typically level the boat with the one on the lower side of the boat to level it out, then go one or two more down & then drop the other one down one or two to keep the bow of the boat from moving up & down. This also gives a much more stable ride. I have a 22' Hewescraft.Good LuckJohn

I know but the boat only rolls to one side that why I made that comment