New Boat Issues need suggestions

Sea-IV

2 hours ago, Sea-IV said:

I have been thru prop pitches and gone between stainless and aluminum props as well. It's not a pitch issue as it's the Chine on the boat isn't enough. Basically a bad hull design. The tab on motor abuse be prop has no influence and to the listing of the boat. As a solution the manufacturer has recognized the issue and as a result are installing Trim tabs on the boats that come in with the issues. The best for me is that my dealer was kind enough to ship me the trim tabs fully warrantied and I can install them myself. I don't mock the dealer that much anymore but t when the problem showed itself they acted like I was crazy. Also glad to know I wasn't the only one this happened to cause to spend $1000 on tabs for a Brand New boat is ridiculous in my eyes unless it's just something you want to add for yourself. 

Thanks for the info , I heard a few people with the same problem, I going to pass the information on 

thanks Keith 

You need higher pitched prop and there is a small tab above prop that can be turned to adjust some steering torque you will need to adjust and test and readjust until you get desired results .Also in the end you may need to install adjustable trim tabs to fully resolve issue as i did on a deep v boat that had the same issue .GOOD LUCK DEALERS SUCK !

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sea-IV

I have a Starweld 18 Pro with the same listing issue. At Starcrafts direction, the dealer installed fixed trim tabs that are supposed to fix the issue, but alas, they did not. The tabs they installed are about 9 inches wide and maybe 2 inches deep. In other words, the tab extends only 2 inches back. In our latest calls to Starcraft the dealer and I were both told the same thing. They suggest we bend the tab on the port side down 2 or 3 degrees. The rep I spoke to actually said I should put a vice grip on it and bend it down. I can't imagine that being good for the screws into the transom. I'm still trying to figure out what to do next. I'll be interested in what results you get and would appreciate it if you would post them. Good luck !

We raced small boats years ago and found out that the boat would snap roll to the right at high speeds. That is why boats at high speed race in a left turn mode. You must slow down or the snap turn deal happens. Once a battery that was not secured properly hit the side of the boat and broke through the hull.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, fjs5252 said:

Hi Sea-IV

I have a Starweld 18 Pro with the same listing issue. At Starcrafts direction, the dealer installed fixed trim tabs that are supposed to fix the issue, but alas, they did not. The tabs they installed are about 9 inches wide and maybe 2 inches deep. In other words, the tab extends only 2 inches back. In our latest calls to Starcraft the dealer and I were both told the same thing. They suggest we bend the tab on the port side down 2 or 3 degrees. The rep I spoke to actually said I should put a vice grip on it and bend it down. I can't imagine that being good for the screws into the transom. I'm still trying to figure out what to do next. I'll be interested in what results you get and would appreciate it if you would post them. Good luck !

I have an 18 Pro.  Just curious.  For your issues do you have a kicker on the port side along with the battery?   I'm running a 115 and I don't have issues (but I'm not running a kicker).  I do have weight based listing depending on passengers (or not) and where they are sitting but nothing bad like the OP is dealing with. I consider this somewhat normal for a smaller boat and not close to dangerous in my case.   I'm intrigued by the 4x12 tabs mentioned as adjusting tilt as needed based on wind, waves & passengers might be nice.   I just wanted to gauge your observations with the 18 as points of reference only.  Seems to me the 18's are marginal on the tilt and dependent on weight distribution where the 20's have a more significant issue that  needs definite resolution.   I like the 18 but have this affliction where I always find see some shiny new fishing gear or boat gear to spend $ on.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:24 PM, fjs5252 said:

Hi Sea-IV

Yep I know the dealer s my them to me versus me driving 3 hours one way and then back again. I just installed Lenco 9x12 electric tabs. They work great very responsive and solved the issue

36 minutes ago, Fat Trout said:

I have an 18 Pro.  Just curious.  For your issues do you have a kicker on the port side along with the battery?   I'm running a 115 and I don't have issues (but I'm not running a kicker).  I do have weight based listing depending on passengers (or not) and where they are sitting but nothing bad like the OP is dealing with. I consider this somewhat normal for a smaller boat and not close to dangerous in my case.   I'm intrigued by the 4x12 tabs mentioned as adjusting tilt as needed based on wind, waves & passengers might be nice.   I just wanted to gauge your observations with the 18 as points of reference only.  Seems to me the 18's are marginal on the tilt and dependent on weight distribution where the 20's have a more significant issue that  needs definite resolution.   I like the 18 but have this affliction where I always find see some shiny new fishing gear or boat gear to spend $ on.

I do have a Kicker as well and I put it on starboard side to try and counter the roll. According to my dealer the issue is prop torque and the hull being smooth allowing it to roll. I installed Lenco 9x12 electric tabs and they work out perfect. They are very responsive and take care of any other issue I was having. 

Hi Fat Trout
I do have a 9.9 kicker on the port side. The main motor is a 115. The starter battery is on the same side as the kicker. The other two batteries are in the middle front compartment in the floor. My first thought was a weight problem but when im alone in the boat (275lbs) in the drivers seat the list still occurs, not as bad, but its still there. Same results with 3 people on the boat and the 3rd person behind the driver. When the boat is at rest there is no noticeable lean.

For anyone else interested...
I spoke to the rep from Starcraft again today. They will not pay for traditional trim tabs. They still say to bend the fixed tab on the port side down. I expected more from Starcraft. Im becoming very disappointed.

Once again, my thanks to all of you who took the time to offer your advice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app