X4D vs Smart-Troll

No bother bud. Want to help everyone catch more fish!

Rick this would be a great read before the sale is off, right now $599 with 2 probes!! 1 rigger probe depth speed temp & 1 other probe, probably a speed & temp. He dropped the price to gather some $$$ up for another prodject.

The Smart-Troll is a really awesome concept.  Having to keep a tablet or phone on the boat is a deal breaker for me though.  I'm think I'm going to try any make my own wireless probe system...  Might have to get a kick starter going to finance some R&D.  

The Smart-Troll is a really awesome concept.  Having to keep a tablet or phone on the boat is a deal breaker for me though.  I'm think I'm going to try any make my own wireless probe system...  Might have to get a kick starter going to finance some R&D.  

Why is it a deal breaker? I had a phone holder mounted to my helm, that phone was going no where.

Also, ST took many years and $$ to develop. You may figure out how to measure depth quickly, but speed will be your biggest challenge. You aint going to figure that out in the cost it takes to buy a probe package $599.

Why is it a deal breaker? I had a phone holder mounted to my helm, that phone was going no where.

Also, ST took many years and $$ to develop. You may figure out how to measure depth quickly, but speed will be your biggest challenge. You aint going to figure that out in the cost it takes to buy a probe package $599.

I don't use Android devices and don't want to have to mount one on my dash.  Nothing wrong with droids just not my preference,  There's nothing wrong with the smart-troll either, it's a great idea just needs some refining like any product after it's initial launch.  Not trying to start a fight and rustle any feathers, but it's not that difficult hurt people's feelings on the internet it seems.

Also, a friend and myself have already been playing with a proto-type and I hope to have one functioning by spring.  I don't care about spending more money and developing my own because it's mine and I like to tinker.

I'm not complaining. If it's a hobby of yours, go for it.

I'm just saying that ST has invested a lot of time and money already. It wasn't easy for them, but they've got a great product now.  I know getting speed right is a major challenge.

Edited by TyeeTanic

Rick this would be a great read before the sale is off, right now $599 with 2 probes!! 1 rigger probe depth speed temp & 1 other probe, probably a speed & temp. He dropped the price to gather some $$$ up for another prodject.

Mention my write up and the discount will be good until Nov 15th. I plan on publishing it Monday.

It is a deal breaker for me too.  I want something that stay on the boat and can't be forgotten at home. 

Pap, they also make tablet holders, I have one in my tractor trailer. Very sturdy, it's got about 300,000 miles on it, if I remember right it was about 60 dollars and very adjustable. Its going to be smart troll for me. Rick didn't mention where his article was going to be published, I am anxious to read it.

Sent from my VS990 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pap, they also make tablet holders, I have one in my tractor trailer. Very sturdy, it's got about 300,000 miles on it, if I remember right it was about 60 dollars and very adjustable. Its going to be smart troll for me. Rick didn't mention where his article was going to be published, I am anxious to read it.

I would assume here DB, but one ever knows

It is a deal breaker for me too.  I want something that stay on the boat and can't be forgotten at home. 

I understand, but what will you do with the $300 probe that is worth more than the BT phone (which you can get for $100)?  I'm sure you will lock that away or bring it home.

Remember one other benefit with the ST is that almost the entire system is portable.  As long as you have another transducer, you can quickly unclip the receiver, monitor and probes and use the system on another boat.  Guys have even figured out how to mount the transducer so it is portable as well.  So if you screen has some kind of a quick attachment like a RAM clip or velcro (as suggested above), the whole system is portable.  You cannot do that with any other device.

Here's the write up:

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/61752-a-season-with-the-smart-troll/

I have the fishhawk 4xd bluetooth....you can run extra displays on tablet or cellphone with a simple app. have one in the back and 1 on the dash.

This will not tell you info on your divers and junk lines though. 1/2-3/4 of most everyone's spread now are these.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters