Otisco Ice Fishing 2016 Thread

tman12

Fished all day today. Panfish very slow. Between two of us we got about 75 for the whole day. The flags were pretty good today, 4/5 with one really nice bass. No tigers. A guy next to me said he caught and released a 43 this morning on dead bait. Ice is 2-6" throughout the bay. Closer to dam the thicker, I drilled holes all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ice kind of sketchy today. Very mushy at shore, half of the bay through the narrows narrows is open water. Not much Ice to work with, the wind is killer. On the bright side, got about 45 sizeable gills today. Someone I talked to got a 34" tiger early on. Stay safe, I may try Tully Lake tomorrow for some crappie

I was up yesterday to check on my place and pay next year's tab. When I got there there was a decent area of open water and by the time I left it was shrinking fast. We went jet ski shopping as well...

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

%2Fmonthly_2017_01%2FIMG_1483896812.283637.thumb.jpg.0bd3301d41ac1771eba6f74aa38dc0e3.jpg

I got out at 7:30 this morning and it was packed. Couldn't get the spot I wanted (the guy who caught the tiger did). Had to call a quick audible and scatter my tip ups between huts which was far from ideal. Didn't really bother to fish for gills today. No flags in 5 hours. Frozen everything, tough day. But hey, it's fishing.

The guy who got the tiger told me he had caught that one last year. It had a hump back. It also had a line in its mouth on a snell hook that I took out of it. Weird looking fish, about 33-34". He also got one that looked to be about 28.

On 1/8/2017 at 7:11 PM, tman12 said:

Where'd you see him at?

I've caught him twice in the last 2 years. I've seen him caught at least a half dozen other times. He hung out on the South side of the Causeway until the lake got so low this last summer.

I have heard that stocked hump backed muskies happen quite often. I don't remember what the cause is said to be. Something to do with being hatchery raised. So there could be more than one in Otisco. Some of the Chautauqua guys probably know. I'm not saying it isn't the same fish. It very well could be.

Edited by muskiedreams

If this happens to be the same fish than man is he one dumb fish. That'd be close to 10 confirmed catches on him lol. I've seen a couple others too, and would assume that it's more likely there's multiple Humpy doppelgängers. It makes sense since they are stocked that it's a stocking injury, but it's possible it could be due to poor handling or something along those lines, but I'm just guessing.

You can definitely catch the same tiger over and over, but I've also seen many "Humpy's". You can catch them twice just moments apart and I had one that was still in the net after I unhooked it and the lure was hanging 18 inches over the net and it launched itself up and engulfed it. When they are aggressive you can't keep em off

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/

(607)-349-1750

Hahaha. I've seen a few from this forum, but have never caught one myself. A get a lot of weird pike in Canada, sometimes ones with their gills hanging outside their head. Weird, but I guess they can still live

• 4 weeks later...