Disappointing evening

So tonight I hooked up the old drag to the ATV and started working a spot I'm throwing some plot mix on just for this year. Well my pointer and weim were wandering around while I was out there and found a fresh fawn kill. My pointer actually brought me the fawns head and about 3" of meat and majority of the hide from the shoulders forward. It had a slight smell but it must have been killed last night no rigor mortis in the ears. A little in the jaw.

Anyone know what kind of predator leaves the head and most of the hide? I will say I had some big bobcat tracks and one set of coyote this winter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm guessing coyote. They love this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah that's what I figured. Haven't heard any in a long time though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

As others have suggested probably Coyote.  I would also ask if you have seen any Eagles around lately?  I drove down to Ithaca Sunday and saw an Eagle.  When rabbits are killed in my yard by hawks, usually only the head is left.  

The coyotes eat all but the legs, bears on the other hand leave the skull. My tracking dog found a spot where a bear had 14 fawn skulls scattered around in it's bedding area. (Bear hair n scat found to confirm a bear) Later that year a 350lb bear was shot close to that spot. Their sense of smell gives them a huge advantage to find the fawns.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app