Keuka Keuka sawbellies

Lot of concern over the last couple of years relative to the sawbelly population on Keuka. Good news on that front Tuesday. Only managed one laker jigging that day but the one I got had 7 good sized saw bellies inside in him. Was fishing at the Branchport end. 

• 3 weeks later...

First of all nice going on the catch:yes:  I hope you are an angler diary cooperator for DEC as the other two fish are significant as most folks have been reporting the absence of both landlocks and browns.for quite awhile now and they are considering not stocking them anymore.

I'm quite sure the middle fish is a landlock salmon and the one to the right of it is a brown trout.withthe other three being lake trout.

I don't see any pink in either of the "Rainbows" and coming into spawning season, I would expect that.  There is quite a fork in the tail of the landlocked salmon, too, not something you see on a rainbow.  And maybe it is the photo, but I don't see any spotting on the tails, and rainbows have spots on their tails as well as their bodies.   I'm with Sk8man!

Don't feel too bad, though, the Angler Survey lady in Pulaski said a full half of the folks that she interviewed last fall with fish could not correctly identify what they had, even to the point of telling a trout from a salmon, an important distinction if you want to comply with bag and size limits.

While this was done for Lake Ontario, you may find it helpful.

http://seagrant.sunysb.edu/glsportfish/pdfs/SalmonTrout-LakeOntario2012.pdf

• Like 1

As of this date I haven't received my diaries back with their summaries from DEC and they often mention things about upcoming stocking efforts. I'll communicate anything substantial( if there) when I get the reports back.

• Like 1

Good Day, timing is everything. Just got mine back.... “considering the current forage conditions in Keuka Lake, we are temporarily discontinuing these stocking programs.” (Browns/Atlantic). Rainbow stockings will get yearling Finger Lakes strain rainbow stockings in place of fingerlings. A bit larger fish....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...