Video on gobie on bass spawn

Yes this is a FN joke. Bass are still on the beds and the DEC is basically sanctioning this. Its ridiculous. Whats even more sucky is guys are using the viewing things that look like a megaphone shape (I dont know what you call them) to view under water to target them on the beds! Real sporting. ...Those guys cant catch em any other way. They may as well bow fish. Its so un sportsman like in my opinion to be targeting them off the beds. I mean if you get one accidentally then so be it but to drop right on the bed to disrupt the spawning is sinful in my opinion. Whats even worse is the DEC allowing tournaments while the spawn is still on (see Cayuga L.). Whats even worse is shortening the season to June 15th instead of the 3rd Sat in June. It should be later not shorter like the Cannadians are doing on the St Lawrence. The season for Smallmouth doesnt open till July 1st this year to protect the spawn and no targeting them for catch and release either. I mean the water is 56 there so this is not good. Hopefully these guys fishing the beds dont keep any cause that is the future of the fishery providing the gobies dont get em first. Wake up NY!!

1 hour ago, BP Swing said:

Yes this is a FN joke. Bass are still on the beds and the DEC is basically sanctioning this. Its ridiculous. Whats even more sucky is guys are using the viewing things that look like a megaphone shape (I dont know what you call them) to view under water to target them on the beds! Real sporting. ...Those guys cant catch em any other way. They may as well bow fish. Its so un sportsman like in my opinion to be targeting them off the beds. I mean if you get one accidentally then so be it but to drop right on the bed to disrupt the spawning is sinful in my opinion. Whats even worse is the DEC allowing tournaments while the spawn is still on (see Cayuga L.). Whats even worse is shortening the season to June 15th instead of the 3rd Sat in June. It should be later not shorter like the Cannadians are doing on the St Lawrence. The season for Smallmouth doesnt open till July 1st this year to protect the spawn and no targeting them for catch and release either. I mean the water is 56 there so this is not good. Hopefully these guys fishing the beds dont keep any cause that is the future of the fishery providing the gobies dont get em first. Wake up NY!!

We need an internet app where responsible sportsman can post pictures and video of the scumbags that break the fishing and hunting regulations Where the app finds them wherever they post on the net, to shame and heckle them wherever they go on the net.

There are tons of videos on the "pros" pre fishing for bedding fish. Just google "Lake Champlain bedding bass" or something similar. So what they do is find the beds, gps them, catch the bass, weigh them, then put them back and hit the beds again with the biggest bass during the tournament. A guy won it a couple years ago doing that. The 30 lb 5 fish bag a guy caught on Cayuga were all bedding fish. Below is a DEC link bragging about the opening of bass season. It may be a good place to voice your displeasure.

https://www.facebook.com/NYSDEC/posts/pfbid02qQrRDWgQDm3eLvyFxDr6QwG7Rp5AC68mKN7nLUjVxawsygJrVCchfHw73MPTzSSHl?comment_id=281877874291461&reply_comment_id=2003374810022852&notif_id=1686965986228504&notif_t=feed_comment_reply&ref=notif

Yeah, it really just does not make sense.  Some bass will still be on beds until the start of July.  And a lot of bass guys get upset if someone keeps a couple bass for the table.  I don't personally find them all that good to eat, especially bigger ones.  I'll take perch all day over a bass.  Anyway, the damage done in taking one bass off a bed is probably worse than keeping a limit later in the year.  When I was a kid the size limit was 10 inches and the limit was 6.  A three pound bass would have been a trophy back then.  And, as I recall, the ten inchers were tasty.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 12:43 PM, jperch said:

A three pound bass would have been a trophy back then. 

I agree, when i started fishing the lake as a kid a 2.5lb smallie was a good size. Now you get guys weighing in 23+ lb bags of smallies as the norm. 5lbers are not very difficult to find at this point. So although bed fishing has always been sketchy at best, what it seems is that bass have adapted to gorge themselves on those gobies and in turn we have some monster breeding fish out in the lake now. I keep my boat on fair haven and year by year the smallie population on the bay itself seems to just keep going up. A lof of them just stay in the bay year round now.