Dipsy Divers

4 hours ago, Ghunterk said:

Looking to buy a couple Dispsy Diver set-ups. Was wondering what is the best set-up? Rod ? Reel ? Wire/Braid/mono ?

Thanks for the Help !!

Wire for sure, I use 9’ MH rods, a 30 size linecounter reel with 100yds of 30lb mono backing will be full with 1000’ of wire on top.

• Like 1

Get the ugly stick trolling rod, biggest one you can deal with,  put a twilly tip on it, run 300 feet of 50-pound braid on a Diawa saltiest 30 reel and put 200 (fill the reel the rest of the way)  feet of braided SS wire on it with 60 feet of floro leader then slide diver it. Best set up you will ever have.

I have Diawa and Shakespeare rods with Diawa and Okuma Convector 30 reels. Last week I purchased 2, 9'6" MH Shimano TDR dipsy rods from BE F&T. The price on the rods was so good I bought another Okuma Convector 30 and spooled with with 20lb. These rods are wonderful. I wish I had purchased them a long time ago.

Stay away from lower end reels with wire. I prefer Daiwa saltist 30’s. They have a 6.1:1 gear ratio, smoothest drag on the market and they are bullet proof. Tekotas are good, and the higher end Okumas are good. For rods, the new Daiwa Great Lakes Series rods are great rods. I picked them up this winter and love them. I have the roller version but they are not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Stay away from lower end reels with wire. I prefer Daiwa saltist 30’s. They have a 6.1:1 gear ratio, smoothest drag on the market and they are bullet proof. Tekotas are good, and the higher end Okumas are good. For rods, the new Daiwa Great Lakes Series rods are great rods. I picked them up this winter and love them. I have the roller version but they are not necessary.

x2, but we like Shimano Talora rods with Twili tips. 8' MH2 rods on the inside running Dipsy Mags on a 1 1/2 setting and 9' MH2 rods on the outside running Dreamweaver Deeper Divers size 5 on a 2 1/2 setting. You can't beat Saltist reels.

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

While I do agree that wire setups really benefit from a higher end reel. I have to say when I first started I ran Okuma Magdas with Tuna Tom CF drags for 2yrs as my wire reels and they never gave me a problem and landed a good number of fish ($50 reel + $8 drags). I now run Okuma Coldwaters for my wire reels ($90-$100),  if $200 reels aren't in your budget you can still have very usable setups running some lower end reels imo.