Oneida Lake 01/17/09

muskybob

Up at 5AM to meet Nick (doublehaul) in North Bay by 7. It was a frigid 13 below when I started out. Luckily it warmed up to a balmy 9 below by the time I met Nick and we got out to our spot. Well I shouldn't say OUR, because Nick walked faster than I, had one hole drilled by the time I caught up to him, and he laid claim to a 50 yard radius around the hole. He agreed to let me fish with him after I promised to give him all the fish I caught. I agreed and we drilled the other 6 holes from 18 to 22 fow. We had 5 tip ups out and 2 holes for jigging. Everything got set up and we watched as a lone figure approached from the distance. Turned out to be a DEC officer making the rounds checking for bad guys. He was a heck of a nice guy and we returned to our jigging holes after showing him our current licenses. The guys next to us didn't fair as well though. The officer was there for about a half hour writing them tickets for one reason or another. He left them and proceeded to make a 5 mile trek around the bay checking various fishermen (maybe fisherwomen too, I couldn't tell).

Nick broke out the frying pan around 10:30 to fry up some of the fish we caught, but since we hadn't caught any we settled for the homemade venison sausage he brought along with a can of chili. That tasted fantastic, and warmed us up enough to stay out on the ice till Noon. No bites on the tip ups or the jigging holes so we headed back to shore and homeward bound.

NOTE: No fish were caught or harmed on the making of this report...........except for the dead minnows

Nick

aV2_5tki.jpg

Nick Cooking

gx1ChOi.jpg

Me

aV2DPK9.jpg

Thanks for a great morning Nick. :yes: I don't have any homemade sausage, but I'll bring McDonalds next time. :P

Stan,over here ice fishing is a social event you meet and talk with the best bunch of fishermen there is.I don't think I ever met one that wasn't willing to share info with you if you weren't doing well. If you get a chance to do hard water try it you'll like it. Mike.